Doe near due has cervical wall protruding from her vulva.

MitchM

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello BYHs!
New member, first post, long time lurker.
This will be our first kidding and our oldest doe in right in the due date window. I haven't seen this before on any forum so I wanted to ask and see if it was normal. Sometimes our doe will have her vulva spread and it appears that the cervical wall is protruding outside. This has been going on for about a week, tonight it was the most pronounced. It did start outside the due date window so I don't exactly take it as a sign of labor. She is also HUGE compared to our other does so she might be carrying a good handful of kids. Maybe that extra pressure is causing this? It does return to normal/comes and goes. She is not exhibiting the other signs of labor that I have read about so I wanted to know what you all say?

Thanks!

IMG_6225.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's a partial vaginal prolapse and very likely caused, like you think, by internal pressure. Try to keep it clean...but be gentle...those tissues are delicate. Some Prep H might help a little. A vet could stich it closed if she's still a good bit away from her due date - BUT - if so - it's imperative that you be there when she goes into labor. I had it done on a pygmy doe and I ended up snipping the sutures a day before her earliest due date and keeping her in a clean stall.

As her labor begins the tissue should thin out and labor should progress naturally - but again - an attended birth would be best. Good luck with her!

MitchM

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I don't like those situations, i would clean her backside and put her in birthing stall , and keep checking her.
Please keep us posted and good luck :fl
We clean her backside daily. If I put her in the birthing stall she would have been there for a week now. Like I said no other signs of labor and we just are now in the window for gestation. What do you mean my those situations?

MitchM

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It's a partial vaginal prolapse and very likely caused, like you think, by internal pressure. Try to keep it clean...but be gentle...those tissues are delicate. Some Prep H might help a little. A vet could stich it closed if she's still a good bit away from her due date - BUT - if so - it's imperative that you be there when she goes into labor. I had it done on a pygmy doe and I ended up snipping the sutures a day before her earliest due date and keeping her in a clean stall.

As her labor begins the tissue should thin out and labor should progress naturally - but again - an attended birth would be best. Good luck with her!
Thank you! We’ll be with her for sure. She is now in the due date range and should be any time, but will a vet be needed to suture the prolapse after she gives birth?

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
We clean her backside daily. If I put her in the birthing stall she would have been there for a week now. Like I said no other signs of labor and we just are now in the window for gestation. What do you mean my those situations?

I ment, that I would put her in the stall today ...as to" situations" ...I don't like when a goat or any animal has problems birthing.....as I have had to hold fingers against the area to keep pressure so nonthing gets pushed out other than a kid :),......wishing you a successful kidding, and happy you have joined BYH, :frow

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
By all means, get all your needed supplies into a container, with lid, ready to be grabbed by you. Include towels, wipes, lubricant, hand wash/sanitizer, extra lights (headlamps are great!) a lead line, iodine, etc. Your vets ph # might be good to have handy.

You say your "oldest doe"...if she has kidded several times the muscles and cervical/uterine tissue may have stretched & is creating this issue. Of course, your oldest may only be 3 :idunno Just throwing this out there for thought.

Most probably she will kid with just some assistance available. They are amazing animals and you need to be ready to help, if needed. Like FEM says, probably several and pressure in there. And, it's pretty crowded late in pregnancy so even an over full rumen can created extra pressure. However, if the first out doesn't help with relief, or causes a prolapse, then you have more concerns.

please let us know how it goes. We all care and learn from each other.