Doe near due has cervical wall protruding from her vulva.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
will a vet be needed to suture the prolapse after she gives birth?
The problem should go away during labor and birth. Let me repeat "should" go away. This is not like a prolapsed uterus that is an emergency situation and would have to be replaced after kidding if it came out. Different situation.

I've dealt with this twice (same doe) and she never had a problem with delivering or after the birth. The first time we did not suture the vulva - the second time the problem was worse and we did. She was a small pygmy doe and after those two pregnancies she became a pet - no more breeding for her.

Several issues while she's still pregnant and prolapsing. Like I mentioned - the tissue is delicate and is not meant to be outside the body. It should be kept moist or it may dry out and crack. The other issue is that besides getting dirty, another goat may step on it or she may turn around and smack it into a post or the side of the barn and cause even more swelling - just not a good situation.

Does it usually go back in when she's up and around? If it's staying out all the time I would recommend having your vet evaluate and decide if it needs to be sutured.

MitchM

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother
It does go back inside and is inside most of the time. Actually when I notice it the most is when she has her front hooves up and is eating from the feeder. Thanks for all the help guys. We will keep it clean and a close eye on her. She really should be any day now and are all prepped with our kit!

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
@frustratedearthmother
It does go back inside and is inside most of the time. Actually when I notice it the most is when she has her front hooves up and is eating from the feeder. Thanks for all the help guys. We will keep it clean and a close eye on her. She really should be any day now and are all prepped with our kit!

Please let us know how she makes out.....and kid pictures are the best ! Wishing you both welll :)

MitchM

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi All - update post:
Still no babies, I’m pretty much guessing at the due date. The buck we had come visit was with us for a few weeks. Guess I was just hoping it would be sooner than later give how big she is. Every day we are cleaning her up multiple times and using OB Lube to help her not dry out.

MitchM

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey all! Great news, she easily delivered 3 bucklings and 1 doeling!
F279BA1C-D68B-47B4-9A78-1B0E44347011.jpeg

Latest posts