Doe still having diarrhea

lhamilton

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hope y'all can tell me what I can do for my doe without having to call a veterinarian. My Nubian milk goat had triplets 6 weeks ago. Two days ago she started to crash - diarrhea, not eating, lethargic. She is a strong girl and a very good mom. These babies have sucked her dry. She is skin and bones even with getting extra hay, Alfalfa, and grain.

I have given her ivermectin, Vit B, Probios, and electrolyte water but she is still not doing well. She not eating and still having diarrhea. What else can I do that I can pick up at the feed store to stop her diarrhea? I think not eating is related to the diarrhea. She has not been free ranged so I don't think she ate anything that would cause this. We have other goats and other does - they are all fine.

Thanks for your help.I would hate to lose this girl as she is an excellent doe.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses
Uh... if she isn't eating, I think you do need to call the vet.

Once they stop eating, everything starts to shut down, and it is very difficult to get it going again.

At this point she probably needs IV fluids and a feeding tube to get her started back up.

As to what started the crash... parasites are a definite possibility, and I know many worms are now resistant to ivermectin. Also, with a heavy milk load this could be a calcium imbalance. And you haven't tried calcium yet.

Calcium is usually a calcium magnesium combination, specifically for high lactation animals. You can get it in paste, or a powder to mix with water. Most of the brands taste bad... so you probably would have to drench her.

BUT, at this point, if that is the issue... I would think she would need it as a shot... so again vet....

But... if you can get the supplies... I would give her IV fluids, tube feed her something... not sure what... and give her a calcium and magnesium shot.

If she has pale gums I would also give her red cell for iron, and then try a different dewormer.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Agree with Alaskan! Also...did you give her a large enough dose? You can get CPMK from most feed stores tastes aweful but helps...pull those kids from nursing! Milk another goat and give that to them in a pan...mix with some pellets, etc. You have any Nutridrench? Use it.

A goat will go down FAST. You see it....if you want to save this girl, Call a vet! Can she turn around, probably. But often a day and it's too late. 🙏🤞😔 :hugs

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
My bet is that your problem is parasites. Can you have a fecal run? Kidding will cause a parasite bloom and in many places, parasites are resistant to Ivermectin. We worm with two wormers at a time now. I've used Valbazen and Cydectin together with good luck. Be sure to follow up in 10 days. I have been known in tough cases to dose every 10 days for a month.

Do you copper bolus? Do you feed minerals? Copper is said to help with barber pole worms. Barber pole worms are the biggest parasite problem in many areas. I feed two minerals that are fairly high in copper free choice. Purina goat minerals:

Nutrient Min / Max Amount

Calcium (Ca) MIN 15.30 %
Calcium (Ca) MAX 18.36 %
Phosphorus (P) MIN 8.00 %
Copper (Cu) MIN 2500.00 PPM
Copper (Cu) MAX 2700.00 PPM

Zinc (Zn) MIN 4,000 PPM
Vitamin A MIN 300,000 IU/LB
Vitamin D3 MIN 30,000 IU/LB
Vitamin E MIN 2,000 IU/LB
Magnesium (Mg) MIN 0.75 %
Potassium MIN 0.10 %
Salt (NaCl) MIN 27.50 %
Salt (NaCl) MAX 32.50 %
Selenium (Se) MIN 50.00 PPM

and
New Country Organics. This mineral is formulated with kelp which my goats love and always do well with.

https://www.newcountryorganics.com/mwdownloads/download/link/id/340-

Definitely try dosing her with CPMK (or the injection like Alaskan mentioned) won't hurt a thing and hopefully it would help. (I've heard, but not an expert, that most calcium issues come fairly soon after kidding.) But at this point I'd sure try it!

Agree - pull the kids. At 6 weeks they will be ok. They won't like it but they'll get over it. Offer them milk, probably won't take it, but they should have been copying mom and starting to eat grain by now.

Agree that you need veterinarian assistance.

Good luck with her and please let us know how it goes.