Doe with decent sized cut on teat

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
It looks less like an injury and more like a split. One of my alpine does last year would get so full her or one of the other does would sometimes step on her udder and she got two tears/splits from it while it was full. They healed up fine but she was sore when we milked her. We watched her closely for any infection but she healed fine, no mastitis either. I think part of the reason mine happened was because it was in febuary/march so really cold and her skin was rather dry cause we couldnt put anything on it.

We have several parts of our fence is barb wire, And our billy likes to jump it and take all his does with him. So my guess was bar wire or one of our other does stepped on it.

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have several parts of our fence is barb wire, And our billy likes to jump it and take all his does with him. So my guess was bar wire or one of our other does stepped on it.

Oh i didnt think about barbed wire i would say if it was on the front side likely barbed wire...back side likely stepped on. But thats all just guesses, mainly i wanted to share that my doe healed up fine both times without any need for any intervention from us. There were no bugs out and cold weather, we put no dressing of any kind on it just gave her a clean stall she was healed in about a week. If honestly looked way worse then it was because of the fatty tissue in there and her being full of milk. After we milked her all out it was really a fairly small tear maybe 1-1.5" long. We thought about superglueing her back together but worried about trapping an infection in her udder.

Reactions: TAH

Latest posts