Doe with urine problem

wmroth

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Annabelle is a 6 year old goat. She never has been bred. This winter I noticed stain on her back legs and around her tail. Thought it might fecal stains caused by heavy worm load. So I dewormed her. The stain got worse. Her stool looked ok. I finally called a vet. She said the stain is from urine and to give the goat feed that has ammonium chloride init. Vet thinks it is calcium stones causing urine to spray on the leg.

I have been reading and nowhere can I find does having a problem with stones. Give me any suggestions on what I can do?

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Did your vet not suggest anything to help? The only time I have heard of something like this from a neighbor, they had the option of having a surgery to fix it or just let her live with it until it was too much. They decided to put her down. But honestly, I did not ask too much about it, so my advice is not the best. Good luck!

Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We drench ammonium chloride with our males. I have the web site written down somewhere if you need it. With females urinary calculi is less common. Is she getting plenty of roughage with her grain?
We avoid wet all stock pellets these days all together now.
Does she have a mineral block? I suggest getting one.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had a doe once that had a rough birth and tore a good bit. She had a urine stain for the rest of her life...it wasn't big and thankfully she never had skin issues. Other than being cosmetic it was ok.

Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had a doe once that had a rough birth and tore a good bit. She had a urine stain for the rest of her life...it wasn't big and thankfully she never had skin issues. Other than being cosmetic it was ok.
O.P. has a urinary problem with a virgin doe.. I believe it is caused by 2/much grain w/minimal :hu hay supplement.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I realize that....just saying that a urine stain in and of itself may not be a terrible thing if the issue can not be resolved and if the skin is not suffering. :) If it is a stone, which is more unusual for a doe, the addition of ammonium chloride should help. If so, hopefully the stone will pass and resolve the issue. :)

I didn't notice what the OP said she was feeding the doe. I agree that the doe should have her diet analyzed and perhaps have the addition of some loose minerals instead of a block. Goats have problems with blocks - not that they won't use one because they will - they have trouble consuming enough from a block with their smooth tongues. In addition, I've never seen a block that had enough of what goats need - mainly copper - to do them any good (at least the ones around here). Most of what we have available are goat/sheep blocks with little to no copper. Useless for goats...

Would love to hear the follow up on this doe!

wmroth

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have watched her pee and I see no real issue. Sometimes she just pees a small amount. I never see urine spraying on her legs.

Her skin of the inner thighs are a little raw. Vet said to apply vasoline twice a day.

As for feeding she gets 1/4 cup grain twice a day and plenty of good grass hay. She gets minerals(loose sweet licks), baking powder, and pasture.

Her vulva is slightly recessed but the vet said seems ok.

She is very active and seem very healthy.

Latest posts