Doeling Dis-budding is Infected

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I brought home a 3 week old Nubian doeling 4 days ago. The breeder dis-budded her in a kid box using an iron and the hair was shaved first. She received a CDT shot beforehand. Two days ago, I noticed the left side was a little leaky. I called the vet and they said a little leakage was normal as long as the fluid did not have a smell or look infected. I've been keeping it clean. Today, it seems like the start of an infection. It has a definite infected smell and the fluid is now crusty and she's uncomfortable with me touching it.
Her appetite and overall attitude is fine so far.

I've seen a lot of different opinions on handling an infection in the dis-budding site but I'm not sure what's best.

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We keep vetericyn on hand and use when cleaning wounds.
Should she be alright until tomorrow when I can run into town to get some? Is there something else I can use to keep it clean in the mean time? Thank you!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you have any peroxide or iodine or any kind of disinfectant ?
Check her temp

Reactions: TAH

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Do you have any peroxide or iodine or any kind of disinfectant ?
Check her temp
I have peroxide. That's how I've been cleaning it. I'm going out to give them their last bottle of the night so I'll check her temp and let you know.

Reactions: TAH

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Her temp is 101.4. The temperature dropped pretty low here tonight. She has plenty of straw in her pen. The barn is all closed up so no air is getting in. She has two other kids (1 week & 7 weeks) to cuddle up with, as well as a heat lamp.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have one that had an infected disbudding site too. I did lift the scab where is was leaking to get the pus out and I pressed on it gently to express even more. I then sprayed it with Fight Bac teat disinfectant but any antibacterial stuff should be good. I did this for about 3 days and then no more pus leaking so I stopped.

That is a normal temp for a goat.

I thought about a vet visit being that it is so close to the brain, but it seemed to clear up pretty quickly.

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have one that had an infected disbudding site too. I did lift the scab where is was leaking to get the pus out and I pressed on it gently to express even more. I then sprayed it with Fight Bac teat disinfectant but any antibacterial stuff should be good. I did this for about 3 days and then no more pus leaking so I stopped.

That is a normal temp for a goat.

I thought about a vet visit being that it is so close to the brain, but it seemed to clear up pretty quickly.
Great! Thank you so much.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
You might want to be careful applying full strength peroxide as it will kill newly growing flesh as well over time... Maybe a 50/50 mix with water after a bit. Good luck!

rescueblonde

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
You might want to be careful applying full strength peroxide as it will kill newly growing flesh as well over time... Maybe a 50/50 mix with water after a bit. Good luck!
Oh yeah, I always dilute it. Thank you!