Doeling with bumpy skin on her legs, what do I do?

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a ten month old doeling, Daisy, she is Boer. Yesterday when I was hoof trimming her, I noticed all four legs have white crusty bumps. There were a few little cuts on some of the bumps, especially on the back of one of the hocks. I know she prefers to be outside most of the time and a few weeks ago it was really cold and now we are going through a warm and wet January/February "Spring" around here. Is it possible she could have gotten chapped like when people get chapped hands during the winter? Or could this be some sort of fungus? Or a parasite? I didn't see any lice, but her hair is kind of long. She is not losing any hair and I didn't notice this until I felt her legs when hoof trimming her. I blukoted her legs to help the cuts. Should I try to give her a topical dewormer? I have pour on ivermectin, ultraboss, and permethrin goat and sheep pour on. It is 32 degrees by me so I am not sure which pour on would be best. Or should I rub bag balm or vaseline on her legs if it is chapped?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Try tea tree oil on her legs. Oregano oil is good to resolve fungus, as well as many bacterial issues. It could be a fungus with all the wetness of winter. I don't use a pour on dewormer on my goats, just oral. 🤷. Worth a try....

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I finally got some tea tree oil. I applied it, diluting the oil with olive oil, six parts olive oil for one part tea tree. I am a little worried because she has some spots of pinkish red where it looks like the bumpy scabby skin came off. It is not noticeable from a distance, only when you look up closely and part the hair. Her back legs are much worse than her front legs. I do not want her to get an infection from those cuts, pink/red spots. Her house is dry, but I usually find her sitting outside.

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I noticed yesterday that our buck has something kind of like it. But not exactly. He has cuts, feels bumpy on his front legs mostly. You can see his without parting the hair, I think his hair is thinning out most noticeably right above his hoof. His skin is crusty and white especially under the dewclaw. I called the vet, since both of these are our registered boers. Unfortunately, he is backed up until the twenty-first. He said he would have to look at it because it may be a number of things, which I can totally understand. I think it is either mites, maybe a type of lice, or a fungal infection. I am continuing, so far, with putting the oil mixture on the doeling. She now has scabs and splotches or circles of raw, sores/skin.

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We are going to have the vet come out. He is coming on the sixteenth, he had a cancellation. I think I have seen the problem the buck has before. I just want to get his professional opinion so I can know what to do in the future. So, as long as it doesn't correct itself on its own, hopefully we can figure it out then.

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
He thinks it is some type of mites. He is going to look at it under the microscope and then let me know exactly what it is.

Beatrice

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The vet saw eggs and recommended we treat with lime sulfur dip. I tried to get as much of the dip as we could on both the doe and the buck's legs because that is where most of the signs are. I want to get an actual foot bath to make it easier to do it. I saw one on premier 1 for $79.00. Has anyone else used this one. It is a bit challenging putting the lime sulfur dip on because it is below freezing here. We put them in an enclosed area to dry off. Has anyone else dealt with mites before? Mites mostly on the goat's legs?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
If she would rather be outside than in her shelter, then it is very likely the bedding and all is infected with the mites or whatever the eggs are from.. Fortex makes 15 gallon rubber "pans" that are fairly deep...
I think that cleaning and then spraying the house/shelter to get rid of any infestation will help alot to prevent any future infestations. Since boers are big goats, you will need to have a way to restrain them once you get them in a deep foot bath type thing. Maybe make a chute that they have to go through and that they have to splash this up on their legs.
I think that it will not solve the problem unless you address their housing also.

Latest posts