Doeling with the runs

walkswithdog

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I thought I'd wander this way to ask...

She's about 12 weeks, we've had her about 2 weeks. New food, new pasture, new stresses. Her sister does not have the runs.

She has been wormed and I started Corid.

She had probios yesterday and today.

I have her in the kitchen restricted to hay (that she is used to) and electrolytes since this is four days now. She is not fevered or dehydrated but I can see some wt loss.

She is eating and chewing cud. It is not constant she's been four hours plus without going.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I don't mean for this to sound jerkish or anything, but after four days, you really need to consider a trip to the vet.. If "the runs" is indicative of the consistency I'm thinking about in my head...some don't even live four days.

Could be bacterial..could be viral..could be parasitic..could be diet..could be stress.. I mean, I'd suspect coccidiosis right off the bat, but you could also be looking at something like a subacute C. Perf...

Seriously, though...I'd have this one at the vet yesterday.

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I think maybe a Mod should move this thread over to the 'Disease-Goat' forum. Prolly get more traffic over there.

walkswithdog

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
cmjust0 said:
I don't mean for this to sound jerkish or anything, but after four days, you really need to consider a trip to the vet.. If "the runs" is indicative of the consistency I'm thinking about in my head...some don't even live four days.

Could be bacterial..could be viral..could be parasitic..could be diet..could be stress.. I mean, I'd suspect coccidiosis right off the bat, but you could also be looking at something like a subacute C. Perf...

Seriously, though...I'd have this one at the vet yesterday.
No, it's not constant, liquid or mucousy or yes, she'd be at the vets. It's intermittent, more soft than runny, she's not either fevered or dehydrated.

While I've never worked with goats, I have extensive background in animal care. If it was dangerous we'd be there already.

She appears to have improved as of yesterday evening - no movement at all for six plus hours and then a soft but far nearer normal movement. I'm checking her in a moment for movements over night. The Corid and worming do appear to be having beneficial effect.

I understand the worry and don't mind the suggestion of the vet. You don't know me yet, that's okay. I did call the farm vet yesterday to double check my impression and picked up a stool sample for him.

walkswithdog

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Okay thought I'd post an update. As of this morning she's fine, a few soft combined pellets but she's clean/unrunny and active. Whether the coccidiastat or the worming did it, she's better. Thank you for the caring and the help from helmstead.

Knowing the care of other animals doesn't always fell like it translates when you're dealing with a new species, glad you folks are here, thanks.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
:thumbsup

Yeah...no kidding! I was a surgical vet tech for years and also have cared for horses since I was a young child - I THOUGHT I'd have an edge with goats. Nope. There is practically nothing that translates, nothing is concrete...and when things go wrong you have very little time to figure it out before you're in too deep. Heck of a learning curve!

Good job getting your girl back on track!

cmjust0

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
walkswithdog said:
No, it's not constant, liquid or mucousy or yes, she'd be at the vets. It's intermittent, more soft than runny, she's not either fevered or dehydrated.
That's a relief. :thumbsup

When I hear "the runs," my mind goes straight to a black/green liquid running down the back of a goat's legs. I've only personally had that happen once to two kids upon which I imposed a really stupid decision -- they were fine, so we won't discuss that :gig -- but I've seen it on other farms many, many times.

Seems like it's considered fairly normal to some people. :/

wwd said:
While I've never worked with goats, I have extensive background in animal care. If it was dangerous we'd be there already.

She appears to have improved as of yesterday evening - no movement at all for six plus hours and then a soft but far nearer normal movement. I'm checking her in a moment for movements over night. The Corid and worming do appear to be having beneficial effect.

I understand the worry and don't mind the suggestion of the vet. You don't know me yet, that's okay. I did call the farm vet yesterday to double check my impression and picked up a stool sample for him.
I really didn't mean to come off as condescending, but it's always hard to guage the kind of person you're dealing with on a forum like this.. I've seen a lot of folks try to substitute google and forums for a good vet..

Glad you're not one of those people. :thumbsup

Latest posts