Does anyone else butcher their own meat?

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
We butcher all meat we kill. This includes turning our shop ing to a butcher room after each sugcessful Elk or Deer hunt. We also do our chickens, and it takes all night. I manage to escape every time from killing and chicken butcher. But I oddly love helping the guys butcher Elk or what ever they get. Cutting meat takes a decent bit of time and I have been know to also cut myself when not wearing latex gloves, but it is still so much fun. I only escape chicken butchering because I have a close connection with the species.
If anyone else does or is interested in it please post about it. This is also on TSS.

Goatgirl47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We butcher deer, and chickens ourselves, but we bring our cows to a slaughter house. Do you raise meat chickens?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I butcher my own chickens, so far it's been old hens and the roosters from a straight run. But I want to get better set up for growing off my own chickens and my breed of choice is Delaware. I will get chicks in the spring.

2 years ago, I ordered 20 ducklings, raised them up and butchered them. Tasty. :drool In the far past, I raised rabbits, quail and pheasants and butchered them.

I can take a deer from the field to the plate. I haven't hunted in a long time, but a friend of ours has promised us deer meat if his hunt is successful. Told him to skin, gut, quarter and drop in ice chest. I'll take it from there.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cool, we raise meat chickens, next year I will be doing it for 4h for my first time.
I might get to butcher 2 elk today

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If you happen to have any extra elk, please let me know and I'll gladly take it off your hands! :drool;)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
We only do chicken, turkey, duck, goose and deer.
Goats go to our local processor... very inexpensive and cut the way we want. Vacuum packed, labeled, weighed.... $60 for </=60 lbs hanging weight >60 lbs is $1 lb. additional.
For us the time savings as well as having it ground up and cut the way we like is well worth the (basically) $1 pound.

@Latestarter - YOU need to go hunt some elk and ship some out to me. :p

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you happen to have any extra elk, please let me know and I'll gladly take it off your hands! :drool;)
I actually would, but we never do ;). Maybe you should learn to hunt and thenput in for a last season cow tag in Creed next year. That is a family thing and it took 2 days to get 2 elk this year. If you are looking to buy beef let me know, my uncle farms cows in SD but then brings them back and sells quarters

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I've hunted all my life... just much older now and makes it a lot more work and all my kids are grown and gone so nobody to go with :( My kids were basically raised on venison and some elk.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't hunt anyways, but Creed is a great hunting area