Does anyone else butcher their own meat?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Spent last night and this morning processing 2 different deer. :)

This morning it was unexpected... a friend pulls up and says I got this deer but have to head to work, would you mind taking care of this? :lol:

Dang deer was bigger than me. Took some effort to hoist him up :ep

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Haha! What kind of friend is that? I hope one who gave you some meat in return? :)

My husband helped a friend process his the other day so he'd better show up when it's our turn!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A couple of days ago I boiled a package of chicken necks from us butchering our roosters. I poured in 2 cups of rice and we added it to the dry dog kibble. They ate it like candy. The pot lasted 3 days and gave them a break from their usual food. I have 2 or 3 more packages of chicken necks!

MaggieSims

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
YES! this thread is wonderful!

My family hunts, all of us. Together, between 3 adult hunters, we tagged 2 elk, and 3 deer. Grouse are really common in my area, think of them like woods chicken. Countless grouse, bag limit of 4 per day/ per hunter, so just about as many as we see we shoot.
My husband has been hunting and processing his own for too long now it is second nature. I, however, had to learn. But i have a strong stomach and LOVE wild meat, so a quick learner am I XD My kids love venison, like more than your average adult hunter. Ask for it, want it for breakfast. Ask for elk burgers, and deer spaghetti. Want back strap pieces with carmelized onion. MY KIDS ARE 7, 5 and 2.

We also process any farm animals that need it, so far just chickens and rabbits, but if i get my way it'll be cows and sheepies soon :)

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
I do chickens, deer, wild turkey, squirrel, rabbit here mostly now, but have done cow, sheep, turkey, ducks, doves, etc., in the past. Have done meat chickens but not for the past two years now...getting by nicely on the flock's hatches and even on free birds out of the locals that we finish off here on fermented feeds and free range.

Currently in the midst of deer and the chicken harvest. Each year I cull the flock for hens not up to snuff, oldsters no longer laying, extra cockerels hatched that spring, etc. Got maybe 10 more chickens to go before I'm done for the year and the deer? Who knows? Already did one but the boys are here right now, ready to go out tomorrow and if they see one, we will have one. They are excellent bowhunters, so we always have deer to put up each year.

The dogs, cats and chickens all get their share of the meat harvest each year, so this is a good and plentiful time for all on the homestead.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule I have about 75 chicken necks for the dogs! Our chickens plus my husband helps his friend butcher theirs and they did 25 for another guy, and we're the only ones who want the necks. They're going to be happy dogs when I get around to doing something with them!

We've had a lot of people act horrified that we did our own pig. Apparently people prefer to pay $300/pig to have someone else do it.

@MaggieSims my daughter (4) loves venison too! We haven't gotten a deer yet this year but hope to. Never had elk, is it similar to venison?

MaggieSims

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
@NH homesteader Yes Elk and deer are really similar. Most probably wouldn't be able to see or taste a difference, and both meats are venison. But we know our meat, and can tell the difference between our elk and deer, even the difference between Mule deer and whitetail. BUT IT'S ALL SO DELICIOUS.

We also share the bounty with all our animals, the hounds get bones to chew on, an elk leg is quite the treat for a dog, they love us. Our farm cat has one year's deer hide as a bed, I tried my hand at preserving it, wasn't a complete fail, but the kitty loves her warm furry bed. I train our horses and goats to the smell of the hides, for future packing. We use all antlers, harvested and found sheds for all kinds of things, knife handles, door handles, light fixtures, and various DIY projects i have :)

I use all my fallen chicken feathers and choice feathers from culls to make a variety of things, jewelry, necklaces, earrings, key chains, and such.

My goal is to do as much as we can by ourselves, meaning, growing our food, hunting our food, processing our food. And then using all I possibly can from everything, trying to leave nothing to waste. So far with my garden, milk goats, chickens, ducks, and hunted meat, we depend on our grocery stores a lot less than we used to.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
So cool! Us too, we do not buy any meat from the store anymore. We don't eat much beef, but when we do we have to buy it. So only special occasions! My husband made a handle for his skinning knife from an antler, it's pretty cool! He really wants to learn how to tan hides... That's his next big project. We raise milk goats, pigs, chickens and turkeys.

Poka_Doodle

Herd Master
Reaction score
I can agree about Elk and Deer. They are both pretty good.