Does anyone else here add Ammonium Sulfate to your Glyphosate?

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Title says it all. I keep reading articles about adding Ammonium Sulfate to your Glyphosate.

Please share your thoughts and experiences.

Also, how do you dissolve your Ammonium Sulfate before adding it to your Glyphosate?

Thank you,

Soar

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't use a lot of glyco but I did agree to do a chemical burndown of a neighbor's pasture last year using glyco. I already knew his well produced extremely hard high calcium water so we added AS to the tank mix. We dissolved the ammonium sulfate first, in a 5 gal bucket of water, using a paint stirrer on the end of a cordless drill. If I remember correctly, we did it @ 5 lbs of AS in the 5 gal bucket of water, then poured it in the tank at a rate of 5lbs per 100 gal of total tank mix.
IOW, for 200 gal, we poured in 2 five gal buckets of dissolved AS/water, added about 50 gal of well water, let it mix in the tank, then added our glysphosate, and added the rest of the water and introduced 1 qt of surfactant per 100 gal mix near the end of mixing.

Make sure you get very finely ground spray grade ammonium sulfate and dissolve it good. Clogged spray nozzles are a pita.

soarwitheagles

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply Greybeard!

I usually only hit the bottom of the fences with the glyphosate. But this year, we have decided to embark upon the adventure called irrigated perinneal grass/clover pasture. Our UC extension people were kind of adament about killing everything before trying a completely new pasture.

We plowed, then hit it with the disc, and leveled with drag behind cyclone fence. Then we waited for a good rain, waited another few weeks for weed seeds to pop up, and finally hit the entire field with the glyco.

We too are on well water. After reading alot data posted by universities throughout our nation, I purchased the granulated version of the AMS. The only way I could get it to work is to heat up some water and then add the AMS and wait for the large majority of it to dissolve [I hope heating it up did not alter the chemical properties of the AMS]. We poured the dissolved AMS through a screen and strainer before filling the spray tank.

I read the suggested mixing ratio is 17 lbs per 100 gallons, so we went with that ratio.

It appears to have worked. I just wanted to see if others also add the AMS. According to documented research, it is suppose to work much better when using hard water from the well.

I suppose I should keep using the AMS. I think I will use a blender to pulverize the granulated form.

Have a good one and thanks again for sharing!