Does anyone have a Recipe for Goats Milk Lotion?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you ever made lotion? If not these directions might not make much sense. I measure in grams when I do lotion so let's say the total amount of lotion you want to make is 500 grams. You would use 325g. of water (65% of 500), 25g. of milk (5% of 500), 75g. of oil (15% of 500), etc.

Ask questions if you need to. And if you don't use a preservative it needs to stay in the refrigerator, especially with milk in it.

BASIC FIRST LOTION RECIPE

65% distilled water
5% goat milk
15% oil (sunflower, soy bean, rice bran, or olive oil)
5% shea or mango butter
3% steric acid or cetyl alcohol
5% emulsifier (BTMS or Polawax or Emulsifying wax.)
1% fragrance or essential oil
0.5% to 1% preservative

(This doesn't total 100% because of the difference in preservatives!)

Sterilize work surface and all utensils with a bleach solution. 2 t. of bleach in a gallon of water.
Put all ingredients in a double boiler and heat to 160° and hold for 20 minutes.
Blend with a hand mixer or stick blender until the mixture is emulsified
Add your fragrance or essential oil and preservative. Mix well with your hand mixer or stick blender, then let cool.
When the mixture has cooled to room temperature (a few hours), put into a bottle (with a pump, if possible), jar, or malibu bottle, then use.

Preservative - you will need this at 0.5% to 1% based on your preservative of choice. Liquid Germall Plus, is suggested at 0.1 to 0.5% (I always use 0.5%) or Germaben II at 0.5% to 1.0%. There are many different preservatives available - but these are the two I know best and like.

Add Germall Plus at 122° or below.

Add Germaben II at 140° or below.