Does anyone have any ideas for llama obstacles?

countrychick95

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am purchasing my 4-H llama soon, and I'm hoping to clicker train him in obstacles. I'm going to start teaching him tricks and other things with a clicker too. I need some ideas for obstacles so i can get a head start for 4-H. I'd appreciate ANY ideas. Even the simple stair or anything will help. Thanks for anything!:D

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
You can use pvc pipe to create a maze to follow. Find narrow things to walk under around the house. Walk the llama up onto the deck.

countrychick95

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Well, I hope to bring him into my basement, as it is the walkout kind, but thank you for the great suggestion!:)

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
Obstacle ideas from my own 4-H showing days......
Stairs/ramp - just make sure that they have a non-slip surface on them.
Jumps
Water!!!! We had a shallow pool filled with water and a PVC pipe sprinkler system. Kiddie pools work well too.
Duck-unders with strings or balloons hanging off them.
Poles to weave around.
Getting in and out of a mini van or trailer

Is your 4-H club llama specific? When I was in 4-H, I was part of the Lleaping Llamas. We did a lot of fun stuff like hikes, fiber projects (we did a felting project for 4-H Regional Day), brought llamas to local nursing homes, we hosted a youth show at our county fair, etc... The club finally dis-banded when there were only 7 or 8 kids left in the group and 6 of them were from my family. :/ Are you planning to show your llama?

countrychick95

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Is your 4-H club llama specific? When I was in 4-H, I was part of the Lleaping Llamas. We did a lot of fun stuff like hikes, fiber projects (we did a felting project for 4-H Regional Day), brought llamas to local nursing homes, we hosted a youth show at our county fair, etc... The club finally dis-banded when there were only 7 or 8 kids left in the group and 6 of them were from my family. Are you planning to show your llama?
I am part of the Humming Hoosiers Llama club, which is a llama specific project inside of my 4-H club. We have our own separate meetings too. We have 31 kids in our Llama Club alone. I showed my llama last year, when i leased from a friend, after some drama, I was told I couldn't lease him anymore, so I am going to buy him instead. I did the halter, Obstacle, PR, pack and costume classes, but now that hes being moved from his home, I have no obstacles to work him on. He's a mini too, so he's really simple to care for. Thanks for your suggestions! My club leader has a few unique obstacles up his sleeve, like a deer skin, and a doorway.. But I am looking for as many ideas as possible. Thanks so much!!