Does anyone know...can you feed a baby raw cow's milk???

Arctichicken

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I was wondering if a baby can be fed raw cow's milk instead of that processed powder like formula? Does anyone know. I'm assuming that's what they did in the old days if a woman couldn't nurse...kinda makes sense to me.

What do you think???? Would love to hear from anyone about this!

:hu

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The answer is.......NO! You can pasturize it yourself at home using a double broiler. Until the age of 2 years it is not recomended to feed them raw milk.

BTW-In the olden days they pasturized it themselves.

Arctichicken

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
By pasturizing it you mean to steralize it by heating it up?
I know I'm really new.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
From Fias Co Farm's web site:

What is Pasteurization?

Pasteurization is the sterilization of liquids such as milk, orange juice, wine, and beer, as well as cheese, to destroy disease-causing and other undesirable bacteria/organisms. The process is named for the French scientist Louis Pasteur, who discovered in the 1860s that undesired fermentation could be prevented in wine and beer by heating it to 135F (57C) for a few minutes. Milk is pasteurized by heating it to about 145F (63C) for 30 min or by the "flash method" of heating to 160F (71C) for 15 sec, followed by rapid cooling to below 50F (10C), at which temperature it is stored. In milk, after pasteurization, the harmless lactic acid bacteria survives, but if the milk is not kept cold, they multiply rapidly and cause it to turn sour. (1)

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Southern28Chick said:
Wouldn't the mother be feeding raw milk?
If your refering to the mother breastfeeding, yes. But, human milk and cow's milk are different and you need to pasturize it for young children.

Ideally, from birth to 1 year of age, a baby should get either breast milk or formula. Until the age of 2 years their milk should be pasturized.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
Southern28Chick said:
If your refering to the mother breastfeeding, yes. But, human milk and cow's milk are different and you need to pasturize it for young children.

Ideally, from birth to 1 year of age, a baby should get either breast milk or formula. Until the age of 2 years their milk should be pasturized.
Kind of interested where you pulled your information from. Could you please direct me to the source? Would like to compare it to source material I have on file here.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
kstaven said:
Farmer Kitty said:
Southern28Chick said:

Kind of interested where you pulled your information from. Could you please direct me to the source? Would like to compare it to source material I have on file here.
Source would be my two DD's pediatrition.