Does anyone know what this is?

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sorry for the bad pics.
Does anyone know what this is? This doe has bald, scaly patches on her ears and tail. She had had it for months. Our vet thought it might be a zinc deficiency or an autoimmune issue. It is not mites. Because none of our other goats have gotten it, she ruled out ringworm. Any ideas?
CE336B76-C24C-4653-86FB-B65847592CE7.jpeg

E41D352C-AE8A-404C-8FD6-954631B0D02A.jpeg

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Usually a patchy tail is a copper deficiency... but her being black... I think that would bleach her a bit too???

Does she rub herself funny on something?

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Usually a patchy tail is a copper deficiency... but her being black... I think that would bleach her a bit too???

Does she rub herself funny on something?
She gets supplemental copper bloluses so I’m pretty sure it’s not that. Her coat doesn’t appear bleached either.

I don’t think it’s from rubbing. It would be too hard to rub her ears in the same spots every time I think.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd treat her for mites anyway.

Some goats can have mites and never show any signs or symptoms. Others will.

Have you treated her for mites? Skin scrapings can be unreliable.

A friend was having a similar issue. Her one buck kept balding. They tried many different treatments. Nothing worked until they started putting NuStock on him. It's sulfur based and treats different types of mange and mite. Might be worth a try :idunno

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'd treat her for mites anyway.

Some goats can have mites and never show any signs or symptoms. Others will.

Have you treated her for mites? Skin scrapings can be unreliable.

A friend was having a similar issue. Her one buck kept balding. They tried many different treatments. Nothing worked until they started putting NuStock on him. It's sulfur based and treats different types of mange and mite. Might be worth a try :idunno
Interesting. I didn’t realize skin scrapings were unreliable. I will definitely try that!