Does anyone mix their own feed?

Hooligan Farm

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm experimenting right now. Buying pellets is starting to get expensive so I researched and toady I started adding oats and some cracked corn in with the pellets to make it last longer and to help my meat rabbits put on some weight

tortoise

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Pellets have gone up $1/lb, so I'm starting to lean towards mixing. Trying to learn more about it.

AlpacaEmployee

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Pellets have gone up $1/lb, so I'm starting to lean towards mixing. Trying to learn more about it.
Wouldn't that mean they went up $50 a bag? I'm seeing it go up $1/bag.

tortoise

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
AlpacaEmployee said:
tortoise said:
My bad. $1/10#. (+$4/40# bag)

nicktide

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have been going 50/50 oats and pellets for the last few weeks. I am adding wheat to this mixture. I feed them lots of hay too. this mixture gives me about 11 - 12% protein. Perfect for bucks and dry does. For wet or pregnent does and young bunnies their hay is about half alfalfa and half timothy (without alfalfa based pellets, this is not a problem) and some soy protein pellets mixed in. My feed bill is way down.

I have read lots about corn being no good for rabbits and others say its ok. Since I am paying only $7.50 per 50# for wheat or oats, I decided not to risk the corn to save a little money. Plus corn is low protein and I would need to feed protein pellets or alfalfa to compinsate.

AlpacaEmployee

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
tortoise said:
AlpacaEmployee said:
tortoise said:
My bad. $1/10#. (+$4/40# bag)
Lol, I was going to stock up and ship to you. 65 dollar feed would be crazy.

Latest posts