Does anyone mix there own llama feed

Mama&thePeeps

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We sort of mix our own. We buy the bagged llama feed from the co-op but mix in 4 grain chicken scratch in a 1:1 ratio. They love it.

MrsCountryChick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank goodness they eat hay & grass & not eat pure bagged feed like a dog, lol. :lol: For us also it's easy to just buy bags. ;)

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Too much work to mix your own feed unless you have a lot of animals.

SkyWarrior

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Mama&thePeeps said:
We sort of mix our own. We buy the bagged llama feed from the co-op but mix in 4 grain chicken scratch in a 1:1 ratio. They love it.
I'm new at this. :bow Can you feed chicken scratch with the llama pellets?

My boy, Sid, loves his llama pellets.

MrsCountryChick

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
No, corn is bad for llamas.
:ep Wow I didn't know that! Thanks for the info. I've never fed corn to mine, but also never came accros anywhere saying it was bad for them. I've read the whole Oats are bad but rolled are fine. & to my understanding wheat is okay...though I don't think I've ever given any camelid any.

Even ground & cracked corn? I assumed in some finely ground 'meal' it was a portion of thier grain pellets. :idunno It's so sad how dry cat & dog food has the main ingredient as ground corn, sad. We always flip bag & buy them the feed with chicken or lamb & rice as the top ingredient. Sad what is used as fillers. I have a small country feed mill near us but they don't make camelid feed mix... so we travel further for Mazuri. Gotta feed good animal feed. ;) :)

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
A little bit of corn is ok for llamas and I bet some is in the bagged feeds but a lot can cause acidosis in the fermentation chamber of the stomach.

From Dr David Anderson: Corn is the "hottest" grain in that it provides the most readily fermentable carbohydrates of the cereal grains, but this also makes corn the most risky for causing acidosis.