Does it matter if you buy registered or unregistered goats?

MaddiesMomma

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So I'm probably getting 2 does in the spring and I want to know if I should buy already registered ones or unregistered ones? Does it matter? Would I need to register them if they weren't already? Why do people even register their animals? Could someone please shed some light on this subject for me?

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
If you plan on showing them, get registered goats. Having registration papers is pretty much a "guarantee" your animal is purebred. That said, unregistered animals can be purebred, too. And registered does not mean quality and unregistered does not mean not quality. Look at tbe individual goats and their traits when deciding, and then their registration status last, esp if you dont care. However registered animals do cost more, but you can also sell their babies for more.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
MaddiesMomma said:
So I'm probably getting 2 does in the spring and I want to know if I should buy already registered ones or unregistered ones? Does it matter? Would I need to register them if they weren't already? Why do people even register their animals? Could someone please shed some light on this subject for me?
I think you should buy registered stock if you can. Some on here will tell you that if you are not interested in showing the animals in dairy goat shows, they don't need to be registered. That is true.

But, when you buy registered animals you can see the animals lineage, the farms in the background, milking stars in their back ground etc.

A milk star indicates an animal has performed a productiont test and has been shown to be a top producer. A buck with a milking star either means his mom had a milking star, or his daughters have milking stars.
Different stars and designations mean different things, *S, *D, *M, +B

You can't have this information and history without registration.

AshleyFishy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Really the only reason to buy registered animals is to make their offspring worth more. I did the registered thing for over a decade and honestly I will not be doing it again.

However, with a registered animal you know more about what you're buying. You can look up relatives on their papers and see what is in your critters genes. Also farms that breed for registered animals tend to test for diseases and/or breed for better production, conformation, type and what not.

What are your going to be buying your goats for? Pets? Milk? Brush clearing?

MaddiesMomma

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
@ OneFineAcre and SheepGirl
Thank you both! That clears so much up! I probably won't get registered right off the bat, since we just want milk for us for now and don't plan on showing. If we decide we like milking and end up buying more land in a few years, then I will probably consider showing and spring for some registered ones. I do like the idea of seeing the does milking history though, so maybe if I find some registered for a good price I'll get them. :)

MaddiesMomma

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
AshleyFishy said:
Really the only reason to buy registered animals is to make their offspring worth more. I did the registered thing for over a decade and honestly I will not be doing it again.

However, with a registered animal you know more about what you're buying. You can look up relatives on their papers and see what is in your critters genes. Also farms that breed for registered animals tend to test for diseases and/or breed for better production, conformation, type and what not.

What are your going to be buying your goats for? Pets? Milk? Brush clearing?
Milkable pets :lol: If we had more land I would consider breeding and selling and having my own buck, unfortunately we only have enough room for a couple does currently. :( In the future we hope to move and have a lot more room.

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I started with unregistered but am switching over to registered. If you are just keeping a couple goats, it probably isn't a big deal as you don't have lots of babies to sell. Keep checking craigslist or your local classifieds and see the prices and how fast animals are moving off...in my area the unreg often are on for a long time and reduce prices multiple times and the registered are not even listed (you have to go direct to the breeder and get on a waitlist)...and reg go for twice the price.

For me the advantage is being able to look at their pedigree/lineage. In my area if you want solid milking lines it is amazing how many goats come from the same lines and the inbreeding co-efficient can get high (and potentially poor recessive traits surface). I have bought Nubian goats from 3 different breeders within a 3 hours drive and they all have a lot of the same herds in their lineage.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have both registered and inregistered (purebreds) Nigerian Dwarfs and Lamancha.

If you plan on ever showing they need to be registered.
If they are just for your enjoyment or for milk than it doesn't matter.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both.
Often registered animals will cost you more. Does generally start at $350 and go up from there.
Unregistered start at about $125- $150 Sometimes more or less.... Purebred ND's not ND/Pygmy mixes

With all the Nigerian breeders here in NC, all the people that I know that have goats just for milk and sell their unregistered kids for a reasonable price sell their goats very quickly. Registered goats seem to hang around longer.

Some breeders will sell their registered stock at a discount if you DON'T want the papers.

Those that show put alot of time and effort and expense into their goats to get them titled and starred. It is understandable they would be more. Starred dairy lines are "proving" they have high output for dairy. That is a bonus, however not always necessary. Also just because a goat has registration papers doesn't mean it is or will be a superior goat. There are many reg. goats that don't make the "cut" so to speak. They are usually sold to pet homes... often still with papers and still a higher price. That depends on the breeder.

BTW-My bucks- I always have registered.

I always recommend people look at their long term goals. Do you plan to show? Is this just for your family's milk? Are they for pets and brush control? What if it doesn't work out? Is the investment of $500-$700 for 2 goats reasonable for just starting out? Will you be able to cover those costs plus feed, plus vet care, plus fencing, housing etc and at least break "even" in a given amount of time?
Unregistered quality goats at approx. $250-$300.. same scenario.

We do not show. We run a very strict bio-secure farm. Personally, I do not need my goats exposed to lice/mites/respiratory , or anything else.... many do quarantine their goats after a show- for good reason. Most have no problems however there are many whose goats come home and have scours, fever, respiratory.
That is not to shy you away from showing. It can be great fun! As a matter of fact we are going to see (one of the posters here) a friend show coming up shortly! We are very excited for them! They love it too!

We often refer people out when we know their needs may be more than what we have to offer.

On our farm reg/unregistered isn't our top priority. Ours is all about parasite resistance while living NATURALLY on the land. Meaning our goats are not "lotted" eating from feeders, but off the ground with supplemental hay and feed. In other words, we care more about the fact that our herd is consistent with excellent parasite resistance. This year 2 of our does after kidding and after 3 straight seasons of rain needed de-wormed. That is it. We never have to deworm our goats. We have no cocci issues either and have never needed a preventative program. This year we chose to ONLY because of the severity of the weather and all the farmers in NC have lost lots of goats to parasites and cocci. It has been a bad year here in NC.

Go to a show! Visit some farms! This may help you look at the bigger picture and hopefully make the right choice the first time.
WARNING! Goats are addictive. Either way you will enjoy them. ;)

Yep- Long POST! But thought the question deserved a broader spectrum. :)

MaddiesMomma

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
woodsie said:
I started with unregistered but am switching over to registered. If you are just keeping a couple goats, it probably isn't a big deal as you don't have lots of babies to sell. Keep checking craigslist or your local classifieds and see the prices and how fast animals are moving off...in my area the unreg often are on for a long time and reduce prices multiple times and the registered are not even listed (you have to go direct to the breeder and get on a waitlist)...and reg go for twice the price.

For me the advantage is being able to look at their pedigree/lineage. In my area if you want solid milking lines it is amazing how many goats come from the same lines and the inbreeding co-efficient can get high (and potentially poor recessive traits surface). I have bought Nubian goats from 3 different breeders within a 3 hours drive and they all have a lot of the same herds in their lineage.
I've been all over craigslist and uncle henry's the past few day just checking prices... $150-$200 seems to be the average for an ND unregistered doe and $300 and up for registered ones.
I can't get any til spring anyways but I know I'll be compulsively checking prices and pictures all winter :lol: I really do like the idea of seeing their lineage, I just don't know if we will buy registered ones right away... decisions decisions... :idunno

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
oops- wanted to add... those that do "lot" their animals... no insult intended. There are many farms with Nigies that do "lot" and they are CLEAN and well fed and taken care of.
I have seen many that due to circumstances need to lot and they are just as healthy and vibrant as field raised.