Does new mom need antibiotics? (pics)

dhansen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My nubian doe kidded yesterday with quads. (She had quad does last year) However, the first baby out was dead, and obviously had been for a few weeks (It was under-developed and yucky!). Both the dead baby and the next one( cute buckling) were pushed out almost at the same time making it pretty tough. The third baby was breach ( an adorable doe) and we thought the mom was done. I did that belly bounce thing to check and she seemed empty. She stood up, nursed the kids and eventually I went into the house. A couple hours later I went to check on everyone. There was another dead, under-developed baby and two placentas on the ground. It was disturbing! My question is, does she need antibiotics since she had two dead babies in her for who knows how long? She seems fine now, but I want her to stay that way.

The doe is red, buck is black

Mom

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Sorry about your losses. The 2 that are fine are adorable. :D

I'm not really sure about the antibiotics. Hopefully someone else will pipe in and let you know.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
If she's still dilated at all, I would do a uterine flush with LA200 impregnated ringers. I would avoid the systemic antibiotics unless she runs a fever, in which case I would treat accordingly.

Congrats on the two healthy kids, and condolences on the lost ones.

dhansen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She is not dialated anymore so I will just watch her closely and take her temperature if she is acting strange.
Thank you!