Does soft goat cheese freeze well?

Long Last Farm

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am new to milking my goats--they are doing great! I am making a lot of soft goat cheese--You know, the basic recipe: heat the milk to a near boil, add vinegar or lemon juice, separate the curds and whey. Press the curds into cheesecloth, hang to drain).

Would a soft cheese like that made into a large ball freeze well? I don't want to ruin and then waste the delicious stuff! :)

How long will it last in the refrigerator? We have been eating it so quickly, that has not been a problem yet!:D

Thanks for your replies!

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have frozen that cheese made with the vinegar and find that it is just about as good as when it is made fresh. I did find it crumbled just a little bit more... not that anyone who ate it noticed. I did not notice any difference in taste from fresh made or thawed. Regarding how long fresh will last in the refrigerator, sorry can't give you any info on that as the stuff doesn't last long enough to worry about how long it lasts. I suppose if you are worried that it might hang around too long that you could freeze half your batch and munch on the other half. Just cut your cheese ball in half once it is through dripping whey.

I also make chevre and freeze that too. Chevre becomes crumbly once thawed, but if you put it in a bowl and stir it around it becomes spreadable again. I've read that if you freeze chevre that you should not put any salt in until you thaw. We don't use salt anyway so it isn't a problem for us... just something I read.

Good luck with your ventures in cheese making. It is fun.