Does udder development always = pregnancy....*pics added*

StoneWallFarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a 6 month old nigerian dwarf doe who has recent begun to develop an udder. It is about the size of a softball and instead of her teats hanging straight they are pointing kind of outwards. She is quite wide also.
Obviously, due to her age I do not want her to be pregnant. She was penned next to a buck before I got her. I've only had her for about six weeks now and besides the ride home, in a cramped dog carrier, she has never been exposed to my buck.
From what I'm reading, ff begin to bag up about 4-6 weeks before expected delivery. That would mean she was impregnated... Well at a
ridiculously young age :(
She is very happy and healthy otherwise. No injuries that could be causing swelling.
Ill post pics if I can get some.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
No, it doesn't always mean pregnancy. It could be a capricious udder, which means they'll produce a little milk even when not bred. My doe had one from the time she was 6 mos until a few months ago. Just leave it alone, and it should be fine. Sometimes my doe's udder would change in size, but it never caused a problem. She's now bred and I can't wait to see how her "real" udder looks when she freshens.

If you're really worried, you can take a blood sample and send it to Biotracking for a preg. test, which is fairly cheap and can ease your mind. If by some chance she is bred, it'll give you a heads up and you can start prepping for kidding. :)

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like a percoccious udder. Is she from heavy milking lines?

Our LaMancha got one at about 5/6 months and at 11 months it's almost gone. Just leave it alone as long as it's not hot or rock-hard.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Precocious. That's what I meant...not capricious. :lol: I knew that wasn't right, but I had a major brain fart and couldn't thinkof the correct word. :p

StoneWallFarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
7799_photo_3.jpg

StoneWallFarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
7799_photo_1.jpg

sorry for the multiple posts, still trying to figure out the posting pics thing.

7799_photo.jpg

Heres one of the gang with, Shiloh, the girl in question in the front.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would bet money she is pregnant.

You really have two choices,
Let nature take it's course
or abort her. Can get the drugs at the Vets office.

that's*satyrical

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
if she's that far along it might be just as risky to abort her as let nature take it's course.

StoneWallFarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
That's what I was wondering with the abortion option. She may only be a month from delivery.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I also thought preggo....

I don't have any advice, but she is very pretty and looks like she is in really nice condition from the pics.