Does won't dry up!!!

Alison

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi all:

I have two Oberhasli/Nubian does that kidded in May 2016. The one had twins. I didn't milk her and left the twins on her until she kicked them off in early spring 2017. The other's baby didn't survive, so I did milk her. I've tried to dry her up several times and she just won't. Now the doe with the twins has started producing again. So a year after kidding I'm milking 2 does and getting about 2.5 gallons per day. Maybe they are just amazing goats, but is this common for them to stay in milk for so long?

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have some that are hard to dry off.

I start by going to once a day milking. They hate me for a few weeks and beg to be milked every night.

Once they aren't tight every morning I stop milking them out and just milk maybe half of what I was. Then go to every other day.

You can also pull grain and high protein hay, but usually I'm drying off goats 2-3 months into their pregnancy and don't want to take all grain and risk illness.

I finally got my Lamancha dried off 7 weeks before kidding last year. Sigh. Then I had to milk her a week before kidding because she was leaking colostrum everywhere and very uncomfortable. I have a Nigerian that's almost as bad. Or good- as the case may be. The Lamancha milked for 17 months as a FF.

Latest posts