Does your milk taste "goaty"?

dwbonfire

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
There's no kids on them, and I don't think I feel any warmth to their udders, but I'm a newbie so I maybe wouldn't know! I will say I have noticed this the whole time I've had them and have been milking, it just gets goaty after a few days. So this isn't really a new thing.
I never thought how long it would take for it to actually cool. I'll have to change things up. I only get 3 cups from one doe and 2 cups from the other and they are in mason jars, so I wouldn't think it takes that long to cool but I will start putting it in the freezer for 20 minutes and see how it goes! Thanks!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
If I pasteurize mine and don't cool it fast enough it will go off flavor quicker. It was really bad when I pasteurized in an aluminum pot. :sick

SteveElms

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've learned this spring about cooling the milk. Our goats milk was getting progressively more "goaty" and all I could contribute it to was the warmer weather. So after reading as many threads here as I could I changed my system. I now have a cooler (little blue 6-pack size cooler) that I put the 2 half gallon jars in, then pack with ice and fill with cold water. I sometimes add a frozen ice pack as well. After milking both goats and getting back to the house, most if not all of the ice is melted. The milk however is cooled to the point of drinking. The milk taste has improved dramatically. It's more of a pain at milking time but its made enough of a difference that I'm willing to go to that length.

maritown

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Agree with all above, it needs to be chilled FAST :) Either in an ice bath or freezer. We have done both and flavor holds for 2 weeks.

Reactions: TAH

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My first dairy goat was an older alpine doe. She was a great producer. Her milk was good the first day or two but no matter what I did it went goaty on me. I tried everything.
She past away.
I got Nubians and a Saanan. Totally different. The milk maintains great flavor for at least two weeks in a cold fridge. They are fed the same as my first goat. I don't worry about chilling it rapidly like I did before and it is still a great product that produces really nice cheeses and table milk.
They spend the night with three bucks nightly. I bring the girls in closer to the house for safety reasons. The milk is still great tasting.
Some goats just produce more of the acids or something that produce a goaty flavor.
I have read that toggenbergs are prolific milkers but have a stronger flavor to the milk. At least that is what I have read.

Reactions: TAH