dog coats

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never heard of livestock guardian dogs needing coats. But if they came from a place that didn’t care for them well and their (natural) coats are in poor condition, then it makes sense that you would want to buy jackets for them. Like you said, it will be different next winter.

January is almost over, February is short, and after that it’s clear sailing. Even if a bought coat is less than ideal, you will only have to struggle with it for a few more weeks. Any photos of the dogs? 🤗

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Remember that outside animals need to have their food increased in the winter. Keeping up body heat consumes more calories. If winter weather is extreme, you will find that your LGDs can drop weight in the winter in severe climates. Extra nutrition helps put on enough weight to survive the cold. We increase our Anatolians food slightly in the winter if the weather is bad (although we do not have severe cold) and often cut it in the summer.

Check their weight by feeling the spine and ribs. You don't want to feel any prominent spinal bones. Being able to feel the last rib or two is good though. Working LGDs should not carry too much weight.

Since you have very hot summers, you need to keep track of your dogs' weight in the summer too. Often reducing the amount of food in summer heat is good for them. The heat of summer can put a strain on very large dogs and LGDs are very active doing their jobs. You might notice that in summer they will occasionally slow down their appetites naturally.

U B Ewe

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The Pyrenees do not need coats. Also do not ever shave or clip the Pyrenees for the summer.
When you brush out their coats you also remove some of the needed winter undercoats. These dogs have been bred to stay out in the weather.
OK it is like -15`F windchill. I am cold in my coat and i am concerned about the dogs. They have the same fur year round and barefeet no doubt. I have some dog coats on order, but at some point I know they absolutely don't need them. What can you tell me about using coats, getting them to stay on, should they be on only at night and take them off during the day when we have a heatwave of say 0`F. I knew this cold snap was coming so I bought 2 ladies vests, but I have some real dog coats ordered.

LisaManahan

Just born
Reaction score
OK it is like -15`F windchill. I am cold in my coat and i am concerned about the dogs. They have the same fur year round and barefeet no doubt. I have some dog coats on order, but at some point I know they absolutely don't need them. What can you tell me about using coats, getting them to stay on, should they be on only at night and take them off during the day when we have a heatwave of say 0`F. I knew this cold snap was coming so I bought 2 ladies vests, but I have some real dog coats ordered.
As long as the dogs have adequate shelter at night they should be ok.

Stephine

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Also in the „no coat“ camp. With a coat, if it ever gets wet under there they will be colder. Plus it compresses their own coat, which makes it less insulating. Plus it‘s a pain and can get caught in things. You say they always wear the same fur, but they don’t. They have a summer and a winter coat. Even if you brushes them all out in October, it had plenty of time to grow over three months. Lots of straw in their house or the goat house and they will be fine. The goats aren’t wearing coats are they? And their „naked“ paws are not that sensitive, they are absolutely fine walking on snow. Our beardie used to run through the ditches in the winter, breaking the ice as she ran, with her naked belly in icy water… for all the ditches she could find on our walks. I would have died. We just cannot compare ourselves to dogs, especially those dogs that are bred to be working outside.

BaBaaHMonica

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I have been putting the coats on Only during the coldest and wettest of the days...2 to be exact since i got the coats. Freezing rain and wind off the lake makes for misery. Yeah, next year will be better. They will have better undercoat, we will have the doghouse arrangement so the wind can't blow in so much. The dogs are a bit wary of the goats as the big wether is a little bit of a bully.

The undercoat they have now seems more lustrous since the first couple snows. On good days that I can set out on a 5 gallon bucket, I can brush them out a bit so the straw and hay doesn't get tangled and start matting on the belly and backs of the legs. They are so beautiful, I still can't believe they are mine! I am truly blessed to have such wonderful dogs.