Dog growls over bone.

DaisythePig

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
My dog growls over a bone when i put my hand on him gently. Even though he's wagging his tail i don't like it. Any advice on how to train him?
Any suggestions?
Any welcome!!!

Thanks

Reactions: TAH

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our boy dealt with the same issue.

If you could tell a little about his past that would help. Each dog needs different training due to it's past.

DaisythePig

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We got him from someone in November 2015

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you scolded him to let him know that you are displeased?

madelynmccabe

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When he growls at you, just take the bone away for a couple minutes to let him know that his behavior isn't tolerated. When he calms down, let him have the bone back. Soon he should figure it out and when he doesn't growl at you, give him lots of praise to show him he has done something right.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm just gonna come out and say.....I don't care what his past is....if he growls at me he's gonna catch he(ll)! If I'm close to him, have my hand on him and he growls - he's gonna hear me growl back, maybe push him off balance with my closest leg and I'm gonna take that bone away from him. He's gonna sit there and watch ME play with that bone and he'll only get it back if/when I say so. And when he does get it back, I'm gonna take it away again until he gets the idea that I OWN that bone.

I am ok with my dogs being possessive of their food against any other animal, but they have to know that their food comes from ME and if I want it back - I get it back.

They have to sit and stay (yep, even the LGD's) until I say they can have it.

I trust my LGD's to know what to do under most circumstances, but they will not be allowed to show aggression to me.

Hope you get this under control!

DaisythePig

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Have you scolded him to let him know that you are displeased?
Yes we have. Sometimes he does better when i talk calmly to him instead of scolding him.

DaisythePig

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I'm just gonna come out and say.....I don't care what his past is....if he growls at me he's gonna catch he(ll)! If I'm close to him, have my hand on him and he growls - he's gonna hear me growl back, maybe push him off balance with my closest leg and I'm gonna take that bone away from him. He's gonna sit there and watch ME play with that bone and he'll only get it back if/when I say so. And when he does get it back, I'm gonna take it away again until he gets the idea that I OWN that bone.

I am ok with my dogs being possessive of their food against any other animal, but they have to know that their food comes from ME and if I want it back - I get it back.

They have to sit and stay (yep, even the LGD's) until I say they can have it.

I trust my LGD's to know what to do under most circumstances, but they will not be allowed to show aggression to me.

Hope you get this under control!

Thanks

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My Great Pyrenees/Maremma boy, Trip got food aggressive ONCE. One time and one time only. I am like @frustratedearthmother on this one. He snarled and nose bumped me when I reached for his pan. I came unwound on him, immediately I slapped his muzzle with my finger, then I shook my finger at him and read him the riot act. Trip has this endearing way of squinting his eyes and grinning when I scold him, it makes it hard not to laugh. Since that one time, he is VERY respectful of me at feeding time. The sheep also had suddenly developed a taste for his kibble and he was having to fight them off, it didn't help that he would walk off from his pan when I fed him. It was like I was calling the sheep for dog treats! Now I feed him outside the sheep pasture and if he's not finished when it's time for him to "go to work" then the "house" dogs get to finish it after he goes back in the pasture.

Latest posts