Dog health questions

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Baymule - glad you mentioned the honey- I almost said something but most find it hard to work with. My vet will use this as well.
You are so right, there are times there is an injury and after weeks of therapy and (usually steroids) the dog does.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your dog GB. Hope the sore heals and he recovers some mobility.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would use the honey and wrap it with vet wrap. Honey is amazing at healing wounds. Very sorry about your boy, I hope he does get better.

garp94

Just born
Reaction score
vetwrap is flexible, and may stay up.,but if the bandage starts to shift from the motion and flexion at the elbow, circling the top with Elasticon should keep it in place. It's sticky and flexible, so shouldn't impair mobility like other bandage tapes do.

My one experience with honey in an infected wound didn't help, but then i was told the bandage should have been changed twice daily, not every other day like i did.

good luck

MasAhora

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
In addition to treatment I've found changing my dogs diet has been extremely beneficial. In fact we notice a marked decline in my 16+ year old dog if she eats processed dog food for just 2 days - she goes from wondering around the property searching for chicken poop to being listless under the couch. Also some months ago she was attacked by 2 dogs and we were stunned by her rapid recovery.

The meal is best given in small amounts 2 or 3 times a day (seems to keep good vitamins and ingredients pumping in her system).
I use lean mince or diced chicken boil up with brown/wild rice then turn off the stove and add mixed vege's (5 colours is my goal), add (all organic) tumeric, oregano, cracked pepper, sliced garlic, some chilli flakes, curry mix. Stir, close the lid and let it cook gently as the stove cools down. Pop the entire pot in the fridge when done and serve from it. It takes me about 15 min to prepare a pot that lasts 2 or 3 days. The brown or wild rice if slightly under cooked will help with firming poop. It may take a couple of weeks for the diet to kick in. Mine was so sick when I started her on her new diet that in my desperation she had no choice but to learn to love small amounts of freshly juiced vege's I forced her to drink 3 times a day for a couple of weeks (things like beetroot, carrot and other veg put through a juicer and mixed 505/50 with water).

As an allergy sufferer I used to take anti-histamine almost daily to have my pets inside, seems I no longer need to. However, you could try a quite radio playing in his pen at night to give him some company and a favorite 'toy' as he eases into his new routine. Low stress seems to help significantly with healing.

I wish you luck, it may end up being beyond your control but then again your dog might surprise you.

Saxxon

Just born
Reaction score
https://m.inthecompanyofdogs.com/it...iMeaNM7i-fazS1H2IW1_SGLVVvSDvXehoC-fsQAvD_BwE

Try that for a collar. I have a couple for my dogs. Not foolproof but better than come of shame. There also appears yo be a second brand out (Elizabethan bite collar). It can also be made more robust (latches) if you customize it.

Hope you dog recovers more function, definately a chirp who does dogs might help. Determine if it' indeed paralysis or impairment that might improve if he can heal more.

Silky ma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If you use honey use manuka - at least umf 15+ i like happy valley brand on amazon.
For injury you need cannabis - if you are down right serious then pm me and we can talk. Im connected with a gal on facebook and i currently use cannibis extracted CBD oil for 3 pups for chronic staph skin infections - another for seizure disorder and other for maintenance. What ever hou do do not use hemp products!! Hemp is for commercial use only!!

Silky ma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Do not use RSO or rick skmpson oil- this is toxic crap

Attachments

• F6A7AC66-B03B-4AE6-90B4-DE3D682B740C.jpg
    F6A7AC66-B03B-4AE6-90B4-DE3D682B740C.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 218

Nyboy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Sorry about your friend wish they could talk and tells us what needs to be done. Low residue dog food will help firm up stool. Most LR foods can only be purchased from Vet ID comes in both dry and canned. If food alone is not working try Tylan power, it labeled for turkeys and chickens but safe for dogs. It works wonders on dogs you do need a prescription. I get it from Revival Pet (800 786 4751) they will call your DR for prescription. I would just rub some Vaseline on pressure sore.

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
A couple tablespoon fulls of canned pumpkin with good meat & veg canned dog food has firmed the poop up considerably.
The elbow sore is healing tho slowly. Definitely getting smaller and no longer oozing.
Some days are better than others for him. 2 days ago, I was able to walk him off and back on to the porch with only a little support on the rear. Yesterday, not so much but he had to stay on the porch all day and night due to inclement weather--drizzling wet and cold.

Supposed to have sleet tomorrow so we won't be able to try out his new 'doggie wheelchair' for him to exercise his left rear leg but we walk back and forth along the 35' length of the covered porch till then.

He's his usual self in all other aspects tho. Wants petting, wants to be beside one of us on the porch, barks when anyone drives down the road or if a squirell or deer is around.
It's hard on him I'm sure not to be his usual active self, but I've known too many handicapped veterans that couldn't do all the things they used to as well and they live mostly happy full lives. Heck, I can't do lots of the things I used to either and I sure ain't ready for anyone to put me down ... yet.

Latest posts