Dog took off half my goats ear.... help!

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
5 am and I wake up to my goat screaming... Apparently my OWN dog bit off half her ear THROUGH THE FENCE. He's never done anything like this and I didn't know he would. :he :barnie

I cleaned it up really well with povidone iodine and took her to the vet. The vet put her on 2cc penicillin twice a day and 1 cc banamine once a day, and also some aluminum spray (aluspray). There were no other puncture wounds or anything.

This morning the ear is swollen up really bad.

Is there anything else I should be doing for her or giving her?

I am seriously considering getting rid of this dog. But who would want a 6 year old 110 pound (fixed) male dog that kills everything. :barnie We've moved his dog run over to the far side of the yard away from everything.

Ugh I am so mad and sad and feel like a total goat mommy failure!!!!!!!:hit Of course she was my very favorite goatie and I won't be able to show her now. :hit

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The swelling is natural.

If you keep the dog, you will likely have more problems and vet bills. If you get rid of it and don't disclose the attacking behavior, you may very well have liability problems later.

If you put it down, it solves both.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
A neighbor dog did the same thing to one of my lambs. We didn't do anything besides wash it and she was fine. AND I showed her the following day. I don't see why that would hamper showing. As fo the dog I would either a) invest in professional traing or b) cnsider putting the guy down.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
:hugs

The swelling is definitely natural. Just keep following the vets protocol.

I'd say the dog would be going (one way or another) if it were here.

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
sawfish99 said:
The swelling is natural.

If you keep the dog, you will likely have more problems and vet bills. If you get rid of it and don't disclose the attacking behavior, you may very well have liability problems later.

If you put it down, it solves both.
X2

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We haven't decided what to do with him yet. I didn't want to make any decisions in the heat of the moment.

He was turned over to the vet hospital where I used to work at for attacking a chihuahua.

He was raised on one of the local indian reservations where I have heard they let their dogs go wild like wolves. I wouldn't be surprised if he has wolf in him. :idunno

We've had him for almost 4 years now. Problem is that he attacks and kills everything, chickens, rabbits, turkeys, cats, some other dogs, coyotes, and now apparently goats. I didn't think he could get them since they were separated by a fence plus he is on a cable. :he

He is a REALLY good guard dog though and keeps away all the predators.

Other than than the fact of his 'wild streak' he is an amazingly well behaved dog. He LOVES people and is housebroken, leash, voice command trained etc.

He would need a home where there is NO other animals at all AND would have to be watched around other dogs when walked. :he

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
How is he around small kids? Based on everything you said he kills, I would NEVER trust him around toddlers and small kids.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
sawfish99 said:
How is he around small kids? Based on everything you said he kills, I would NEVER trust him around toddlers and small kids.

He is absolutely a DOLL with people/ humans. He absolutely loves and lives to please. I take him to dog beach all the time (and hiking) and he gets tons of love from strangers. Plus all the people/ kids that come out to the farm, he loves them all. Only thing is that he is big and he could probably unintentionally knock a kid over.

verkagj

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Take her to show. When my son was in 4H, he showed the goats (not show quality by any means but there weren't very many goats in Northern Arkansas). A neighbors pit bull dog broke loose and went after the goat babies. Momma interferred and the dog crushed her muzzle. I took lots of pictures and posted them on a board to show what can happen. After months of tube feedings, she healed up and could lap up her grain into her mouth for chewing. She went right back into milk.
PS. Sheriff shot the pit bull after it lunged at him.

Hope she heals up well.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She didn't even touch her grain today. :( I haven't seen her at the hay feeder except maybe once either. She did eat a few bit bites of browse I pulled for her. Poor baby is miserable just standing with her head down staring at nothing. I can tell she is in a lot more pain today than yesterday. :hit