Dogs: What to get/look for

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm having trouble deciding what to choose:

What breed

Puppy or shelter dog

Male or female

I've been told on another pet board that dogs like German Shepherds, Aussie Shepherds and Corgis are not a good idea for a newbie-wannabe dog owner like me. But what's frustrating is that my gut tells me something else, especially with the GSDs and Aussies....

Now I dunno when I will get a dog, but I do want to get one when I get out of school. Why? Just need of a companion, a need of a bit of a challenge and sense of responsibility in my life.

Now, I hope you folks can maybe help me out by suggesting what I can go with, what you recommend, opinions, etc.

Thanks...

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
My opinion is, follow your gut!
If I had listened to ALL the advice I have been given by people who claim to know dogs, I would have more cats!

Personally, I love my lab/rottis, they have fit well into my life style! I've never met a GS or an aussie that I liked or was able to break from killing my barnyard birds!
I have never met a Corgi, but I have heard good things about them!
When it comes to the smaller dogs, I like Terriers! They can be a challenge!

The question is, what are you going to do when you get out of school? Will you have the time to put into a puppy? If you plan on doing some runing around, do you want to take a big GS with you?

My favorite age to get them is around a year, they still have the some of the puppy in them, but also have enough brains to to learn quicker!

Puppies from "reputable" breeders will cost, but you have a better chance of knowing what your are getting.
If you check, shelters, craigslist, Kijiji, petfinder, you will find there are a lot of dogs out there looking for good homes.

Follow you gut!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
As you know, we have a St. Bernard. She is our second one. Heidi our first one was an excellent herder and met every car that came in the yard-kept strangers in their cars too! Penny isn't much of a herder but, is a good night watch dog.

What will we get when Penny goes? I don't know, with having two kids they will have a say.

Shelter or private? We will be going private. Our shelters like to keep thier dogs. I won't go through that much less put the girls through it. So check the reputations of the shelters by you. Here they come up with dumb excuses as to why you can't adopt a dog from them--the deal breaker for me.

As for male or female? Do you want pups? Are you going to get it fixed? I've had male and female and temperments have been good both ways. Males are cheaper to fix than females though.

m.holloway

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
my 2 cents is a golden reteiver, i don't know if they are good for real farming, but we love them as pets.!!!!!Good with kids, and just melts your heart with thier face expresions. :hugs very loveable dogs!! we are on our 3rd one about (10 years)life.

MReit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We have a blue heeler x yellow lab. Love her to death and she's been great for 9 years now, 10 in june. People can't believe how young she looks and acts, though time is catching up but only I notice it. She herds very well, and helps with ornry animals that won't get on trailers. The lab in her makes her a great family dog and slimmer then a typical blue heeler. Only thing is she sometimes is WAY too smart for her own good.lol.Hunts well too! My old boss called me up the other day to find out what kind she was, she was looking for another farmdog, and she always took a shine to my pup.

WildRoseBeef

Range nerd & bovine enthusiast
Reaction score
thewife, after school, I guess it depends...I'd like to have a job to build up some income, at the same time stick around the farm. Would I have enough time for a puppy? It's hard to say...I do realize the time, dedication and work that has to into raising a puppy, and sometimes I think it's better to get a shelter dog instead....puppies are cute, yeah, but like I said the work involved....

Kitty, I think our shelters are different than yours, they seem to be the type that are happy to adopt out dogs, but are also concerned that the dogs go to the right people who match the dog's qualities.

I don't want to be a backyard breeder. I just want a companion, one that is fixed, mind.

I'm starting to think that a mutt might be my better option than a purebred...I've been told about the prey instinct is strong in the GSD's and Aussies, and probably won't sit well with the number of dear pet cats that call the farm home....as well as the renter's cattle...but of course on the other hand though the trade off with a puppy is a lot of training and socializing, he/she gets taught how to accept and behave around other non-canine animals and this stays with her as she/he grows to adulthood, with the proper training and obedience classes and stuff...

I'm just thinking out loud here, sure a lot of things to think about before getting a dog....seems to be more to consider than getting a few cows!

You are right about going with my gut too...........

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Kitty, I think our shelters are different than yours, they seem to be the type that are happy to adopt out dogs, but are also concerned that the dogs go to the right people who match the dog's qualities.
Oh, there's some of those here too. Just not near us. :(

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
Another thing to consider, coat? I like the short hair! I don't know what you have, but we have 2 kinds of plants here that have the cool burrs that stick in EVERYTHING!
I like black, because light colors just don't work around here! When a friend brought out his Golden lab for a visit, it left here kind of a greenish black!

It seems like rescue groups are usually the ones that have very tight set rules. Since I keep my dogs outside and I don't have a fenced yard, I know they would not want to adopt to me.
Most shelters have some rules, but not as strict.
The reason I mentioned ads, is because many people have to get rid of their dogs for various reasons. If you can find one before it gets to the shelter, you get a chance to talk to the owners and get more info on the dog.
My Bart dog came from people on their way to the shelter. My Bernie came to me from an ad on Kijiji(?). He had bitten a kid and was going to be put down.
Years ago a woman my dad worked with offered him a lab she was going to take to a shelter. He told her no, and then just happened to mention it to me. My gut said to get her! She turned out to be such good dog!

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
AUssies are good farm dogs but you have to keep them busy. They also like to fasten to one person.

Many shelters/rescues won't adopt to places without fenced yards and that's just ridiculous on a farm. Dogs can learn their boundaries, just like kids.
I'd opt for a just out of puppyhood young dog. I think you have more of a clue how their personality will turn out.
CLeo, our Black Russian Terrier, was 15 months when we got her and our friends just adopted a 6 month old Shep mix. They both adjusted well to new homes but you have to be firm with them. ( As our dog training/socializing class teacher told me: You can handle big cows, you can handle the dog. Make her listen)
We took Cleo to class because we do take her out in public when we travel/vacation/etc. She's a treasure and if it came to where we couldn't keep her ( can't imagine!) I would take her to our friends' dairy farm and they would welcome her with open arms. Of course, the cats might have different ideas!
BRTs were developed in Russia during the COld War as Siberian Camp guard dogs. Her fur would need cutting on a farm situation, but otherwise, her instincts are wonderful.

I'd check out Craig's List for Pets and also put out a Wanted notice.

shortcake1806

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I think a beagle might work well for you. We raise registered rabbit beagles and they are great with the farm animals here.

We also have a beagle x aussie mix that is a wonderful farm dog.