Doing your own fecals - Microscope recommendations pls!

woodsie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok...I am fed up with guessing and am going to learn how to do my own fecals. First thing I have to do is order a microscope but am a little overwhelmed at the choices and features...what do I need to look for in a microscope? I am learning towards a digital one so I can post pics to the internet and I have little kids which might make things easier for them to see....I will also be using this as a homeschool teaching / exploration tool.

Anyone have one they like or can recommend? I don't mind investing in a decent one, but don't want to pay for a bunch of features I won't use or that are too technical for my purposes.

Thanks!

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
T-MAxon has oneyou might like... looking for the thread and can't find it.
the fecal float mix is on this page down at the bottom.

Cricket

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
that was the kind I got, but don't have anything to compare it to. Highly recommend Southern's sugar flotation over the epsom salt if you're making your own.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
An update about scopes and McMasters.

My farm partner tried the digital scope and found he wasn't able to use the McMasters slides properly.
Today I will be running fecals and will be trying the digital scope with the McMasters. I will update with the results.

I will say the MCMasters method is the most accurate for Eggs Per Gram count which is really what you want to know.
So if the digital scope with screen won't work than I will be sticking with our old scope. The MM method is very fast anyway so at least it won't be too hard on the back and neck.

Hopefully I will be able to update later today. :D

sawfish99

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
SBC - where did you get your McMaster slides? DW wants to shift to those.

Latest posts