B3NZ0

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So I am new to pigs and, Idecided to start with potbelly pigs. I purchased 3 does 2 breed and one that just got done with a litter as well as a 4 year old boar. At first more boar was more skiddish then the others but now he seems like he wants to attack me? Any help or insight on how to became my boars alpha in a way safe for me and my pig? Or maybe he just wants to play?

luvmypets

Herd Master
Reaction score
My guess is the boar is trying to protect his girls. I'm not sure is doe is another term for a female pig, but I have only ever heard sow. Anyways, sorry I can't be of anymore help(I have only had pigs for a few months). But you should definitely post pics of the pigs and babies.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
A female pig that has been bred is a sow, if they have not the term is gilt. I would stress that you should be careful, pigs can be dangerous and aggressive. He could be doing it for show to try to intimidate you or he could be truly aggressive.

I don't feel comfortable giving advice without seeing what he is doing or at least knowing more about it. Boars get aggressive when they are with a sow in heat. If pigs are generally aggressive and there isn't a good cause for it, we eat them. I don't do aggressive pigs.

My pot belly was far more aggressive than my farm pigs are.

I would be curious how he behaves away from the girls?

ETA: please could you tell us what he is doing that is making you uncomfortable? Pigs do have some behaviors that look like they're being unfriendly but they're just being pigs!

B3NZ0

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I wrote sows but my auto correct changed it. The sow that recently gave birth is separated from the rest bring I'm getting her health and weigh up may have something to do with it.

Attachments

• 20160903_152333.jpg
    20160903_152333.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 281

B3NZ0

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
He grunts when approaching me. Earlier today he came at me with his mouth open and like he wanted to bite my leg. He also took a stance that made me believe he was gonna rush on me.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
My pot belly used to do that. We found a new home for her because I was afraid she was going to hurt my daughter. I read that pigs show dominance by pushing each other in the front shoulder and that you can push (not kick) them to move them to show that you are in charge. Never got to try it.

There is a pot belly pig sanctuary in my town and the woman told my husband that you must show them you are in charge, even if you have to give them a whack with a food dish or whatever on occasion.

B3NZ0

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I thought about giving him a good whack didn't want him to turn on me. Thinking about get a cattle prod.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Hey @B3NZ0 , welcome back! Long time no see, been a few moons. I think a cattle prod might be a little over the top for the typical PB pig... Really, if the pig is aggressive, either sell it to someone well versed in handling an aggressive pig, with full disclosure... or eat it. You really don't want to be breeding more aggressive pigs. As New Hampshire said... with out video of what he's doing, or some sort of history, detailed explanation, it's really hard to tell. By the way, that goes for mean sows as well... They can be just as dangerous as the boars when they have piglets they want to protect. And just always keep in mind, never turn your back on them.

Maybe start over? Just get happy pigs... They make happy meats, and there's nothing that makes ME happier than eating happy pork :drool:clap:hide

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
All of my pigs have had the temperament of their parents. So, like @Latestarter said you may not want to breed him if he is aggressive. I have a gorgeous pig in my yard right now, I mean beautiful, but we are not breeding her because of her tendency to be a little too nippy and pushy with us. Good pigs are dangerous enough and bad pigs are darn unsafe. And no livestock is worth losing a hand for.

But, if you feel comfortable trying the whole shoulder push thing or something similar, go for it. I don't know about a cattle prod. I wouldnt go that route but that's just me.

B3NZ0

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna give him a few more days. If I decide processing him is the way to go is there any way to avoid boar tant?