Don’t know if my doe is pregnant

Vasara

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
on March 22, i put my doe and buck together. Poor blossom (doe) ran from boomer and seemed scared. After a few runs around the cage, she just laid there. Boomer had, what i think, was a successful fall off. They both just laid there for a couple minutes. Then blossom started running again, this time only a couple cage laps before she just laid there. Another, I think, successful fall off. I separated them back to their own cages. Blossom has been lazier then usual but still let’s me pet her and isn’t territorial, aggressive or the slightest bit crabby. She seems to be eating the same but I think her dewlap is bigger. Today, she’d be 14 days along IF she’s pregnant. I tried to gently feel her belly today and didn’t feel ‘marbles’ but I also don’t know if I was palpating correctly. I was very gentle though! I did feel her nipples, which I never noticed before, but I’ve also never tried to feel for them before either. I’m just so excited and anxious! I want to know if she’s pregnant for sure and I don’t want to wait another 2 1/2 weeks until she’s due to find out!
Here is a pic of her before she ever met with Boomer and a pic from six days ago, 8 days after their meeting

Attachments

• 853D9826-A7DC-4064-A9C0-7874581CC607.jpeg
    853D9826-A7DC-4064-A9C0-7874581CC607.jpeg
    600.7 KB · Views: 152
  • B092E072-92BE-4E80-B826-2FD7D0663110.jpeg
    B092E072-92BE-4E80-B826-2FD7D0663110.jpeg
    420.2 KB · Views: 171

Vasara

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Palpating is hard.... sometimes they hide their babies.... sometimes you're sure you feel them then no babies.... :idunno unless you want pay a vet for an ultrasound you just wait... :rolleyes:
Thanks for the reply. As long as she stays healthy, there will be no paying for a vet. I’ll just drive myself crazy wondering for the next couple weeks

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would wait it out...but in about 5 days from now you should be able to put your hands on her sides and feel the babies kicking! You'll also see them moving when she's lying down on her side ;)
Also, some does will get crabby and moody as you mentioned but my experience has been that if you have a normally sweet doe, when pregnant she will become more crabby/moody.
And if you have a normally mean doe, she will become calmer/nicer.
That's just been my experience!

Last edited:

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you want to be sure she is bred, but can't palpate her, just put her back in with the buck. If she is bred, she will drive him off and not let him near her. If she is not bred, she will be receptive and rebreed. Easier than palpating. Since you know when she was bred, this will be the easiest way for you to verify pregnancy. Just be alert since some does will get savage with the buck after being bred so be on the lookout to whisk her out of his cage if she attacks him.