Donkey and goats

Josie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have a problem with neighbors dogs attacking our potbellied pig and goats.... We got a 6mth old jack donkey (I am getting him gelded) he loves the goats and eats with them . Will this situation stay the same ? I don't want him to kill my goats one day ? I've read some bad stories but all seem to be jacks or older donkeys being put in ? Also any ideas how to feed him away from the goats he is skinny and I'm trying to fatten him up . He came to me skinny . Thanks for the advice .

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
If he's doing ok now as long as he gets gelded....you should be ok. A stall or "feeding" pen where he can be fed would help. I would dewormer him too. Also be aware donkeys topline are not the same as a horse.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
"Donkey" and "fat" are two words that should never be found in the same sentence. Donkeys are desert animals, and have extremely efficient digestive systems. If a donkey gets too much to eat, he will store fat as a ridge on the top of his neck, and in great, ugly lumps on his back and butt. Those fat deposits are very hard to get rid of; I have seen animals that had ribs showing that still had a big, bulging butt and fatty crest. Plain grass hay and moderate pasture should be all a donkey needs.

If your donkey is underweight, either he didn't have access to enough grass/hay or he has a belly full of worms. You say you are getting him gelded - talk to your vet about the donkey's weight; I'm thinking they will recommend worming and letting the weight come on gradually.

Josie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Great thank you !! I just get concerned because you feel his hips ...but I've only had him a few weeks ...we have a huge pasture so hopefully he will fatten up soon . Do you think he will stay friends with the goats ?

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH! So glad you joined us. There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home! Hope everything works out with the donkey regarding your animals as well as the unwanted dogs. :somad

Oh, if you haven't done so already, PLEASE put at least your general location in your profile. It could be very important if/when you ask for or offer help or advice. You know, climate issues and such. Old folks like me :old will never remember from this thread. To add it, mouse hover over Account top right and a drop down will appear. Click on Personal Details and scan down. You'll see the spot for Location. Then go to the bottom and save changes. Thanks! Hope you enjoy the site!

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you think he will stay friends with the goats ?

You can't be 100% sure what any animal will do, but the fact that he is young and will be more or less growing up with the goats should work in your favor. Donkeys do play rough, though - here's hoping that he doesn't play too rough with his goat buddies.

A trickier question is, will he "guard?" Donkeys are said to guard the space, rather than the inhabitants of that space. Whether a 6-month-old donkey has the maturity to get territorial about the space in which he lives is hard to say. Whether he will be intimidating enough to discourage more than one dog is also a question that only time will tell.

Good luck!

Josie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you for all the advice everybody.... We have also doubled up the fencing and I'm in the process of taking the people to court..... Hopefully donkey will work out okay we love him

Reindeermama

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hey Josie, I have just bought a donkey( not full size, between full size and minature, almost full size). He was used to guard goats, and 4-H steers. He is gelded, and five years old. He seems to be fine with other animals(not dogs). I also have managed,(my husband said I am trying for a zoo) to buy a pregnant donkey who is due in a month.
Maybe, you might can put a string of electric fence with a solar charger down low for the dogs, Premier 1st, or probably most farm supply stores have this.

Josie

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Lol sounds like my farm ....I need to charge admission....we do have a hot wire about 3 ft up from the ground for the goats but we are going to set a string lower .....we have been here for years and not one time a problem until that attack..... Donkey does seem to be doing great with everyone !! Thanks for the advice !