Donkey being aggressive - help

helenls

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a 7 month old jack (about to be gelded next week) who we have had for a bit over a month. He is a sweet boy and we want him to be an interactive part of our 10 acre farm life. He is showing signs of aggression, biting, running at us and sometimes even trying to stomp his front legs at us. I know it’s likely because he’s young, not yet gelded, new to us etc but I am desperate for some ideas to train him that this is not ok behaviour. He does the same to our goats but they have learnt to run fast and get away from him. Any advice is appreciated

helenls

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thank you! These look like great videos! Does clicker training work well with donkey? I’ve read conflicting info

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Donkeys are different I had a jack for about 8yrs. Does he bite if so bite him back right on the nose. You will only have to do it once and do it hard he won't ever do it again.if you don't have hair in your teeth u didn't bite hard enough. Donkeys don't forget. There is a time and a place for different training. He might just be seeing if he can push u around.dont let him. They can be super sweet. But some times they get a crazy look in their eye. Just walk away. U won't win and whatever u do they will remember. My jack if he thought he hurt u and didn't mean it he would feel bad and put his head down. If he thought he hurt u and he meant it and he didn't hurt u to his likeing watch out.

Oh man I miss the big boy some days other days not so much.

Id work on ground maners with him lead him around and make him behave. Make him stand still pick his feet front and back.

Just let u know a donkey always swings his tail before he kicks if he can't swing his tail he won't kick.

Ask me how I know?

My dad trimed and shoed horses and donkeys growing up.

My job was to hold the donkeys tail or bite the ear or twitch the nose. Or feed the marshmallows.

Just work with him simple like don't over complicate it or try to baby him. If he gets you eating out of his hoof it will be even worse.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Get him away from the goats and pen him up. Letting him chase the goats is reinforcing his bad behavior. He’s gotten away with chasing them, why not you? Is he halter broke? If not, time to get started on it.

Www.lovelongears.com

Lots of donkey information in that site.

KayL

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Hi 👋 Has he been gelded? How’s he doing for you guys lately?

Latest posts