donkey injures goat

Nobfarm10

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My 9 year old donkey attacked my 1 year old goat today after living harmoniously for the last year. I have no idea why. I have 2 donkeys and 3 goats that live together. All are castrated males. All have gotten along until now. The goat was hiding and hurt yesterday afternoon. We guessed he may have been kicked. Today we watched the donkey chase the injured goat back down a hill and follow him and stand over it and paw it with his front hooves. It was awful and I have no idea what the goat did to piss off the donkey. But he seriously injured the goat and could have killed it. How can I reestablish the peace? Help! Suggestions?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
You decide which one you like the best - donkeys or goats - and then you sell that one or separate by a sturdy fence. I had a mini-jack pick up a Permanent Grand Champion doe in his mouth and toss her across the field - then go after her with his front feet. He was castrated the next day and gone the next week. I would never trust him again.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Welcome to BYH. Sorry you're going through this. Hope your goat survives. Hope you get them separated by strong fencing. Best of luck going forward. Make yourself at home here.

Nobfarm10

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you!

They are currently separate and the goat is alive but sore!!

Nobfarm10

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you!

They are currently separate and the goat is alive but sore!!

It's been a few weeks now since the incident. I'll never know why the donkey went after that one year old goat. But after nine days of separation the goat was well enough to re-join the herd. With very close and watchful oversight! The goat has been received back into the herd and there's been no further bad behavior. We continue to have a safe place where the goat can Go to get away from the donkey if needed. I believe it was very important for the goat to be separated while he healed so that he wasn't viewed as a threat to the herd by the donkey. I continue to be very hopeful that there won't be a repeat

Attachments

• IMG_6581.JPG
    IMG_6581.JPG
    502 KB · Views: 144

Latest posts