Donkeys as Livestock Guardians

CESpeed

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hi,

I've read a couple of threads about this and I'm feeling the idea of having a donkey as a livestock guardian. I guess my biggest question would be which animals would they be appropriate for?

I'm planning to have cows and pigs and recently decided sheep would be a fun animal to have as well. I've read that donkeys are ok with cows but what about pigs and sheep

Thank you!

Tuesday

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
While I'm no expert on donkeys I did recently buy one to guard my sheep. She does a good job of it. Since they naturally dislike dogs she has chased my own dogs out of the pasture before. So I'm pretty happy with her. She's even been gentle with my lambs. Donkeys are very low key and not nearly as flighty as horses I've noticed. I decided on a donkey instead of an alpaca so I wouldn't have to shear it since I have hair sheep that shed and no need for shearers :) Plus I hear they can be comical. If you do get a donkey make sure you don't buy a jack they can be too aggressive and hurt your other animals and don't buy a mini to use as a guardian; they are too small to protect anything.

Rocco

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We have a standard-sized spotted jenny in a pasture with about 30 goats - does and kids. I have seen her chase feral cats, a bobcat, deer, our guineas, and she once killed a fox.

To be totally honest though, she does make me nervous at kidding time. We do keep kids penned with their dams for about a week, and she usually checks them out through the fence getting nose to nose with them. But, during cool weather she can get energetic and likes to run...including running/herding the goats. For the big Boer girls with her that is no problem. For the smaller kids and the Myotonic goats it is more of a problem. She ran down one buckling a couple of years back and broke his leg - he healed just fine, fortunately.

So, bottom line, I am happy having her in the pasture with goats, but am mindful of her at times.

Oh, and I have numerous pictures of her with kid goats on her back. We have seen up to three kids on her at once! They jump onto either a picnic table or an Igloo outside their shed area where she will go an allow them to jump on. Pretty funny to watch as each generation of new kids has to try and ride the donkey.

AshleyFishy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My neighbor has a standard jack out with his cattle. That old donkey does a very fine job. He has chunks missing out of his ears and scars on his face from whatever unfortunate creature has crossed his path. He is friendly enough though, he will hang his head over our fence for horse cookies and scratches.

I know he does well with my goats as they have escaped into his domain before. I can not speak of course for all donkeys. A good portion of his behavior might be because he can see them through a fence first and identify they are not a threat first? I really do not know. He is super fluffy and ugly/cute though.

You can normally get a donkey or five for free on craigslist!

cgmccary

Just born
Reaction score
I have a Jenny and she is a good LG in the pasture and is bonded with my cows. Once, a stray dog ran in the pasture chasing my calf. My Jenny chased the dog out of the pasture and my dogs chased him off the place.

Before my Jenny, I had a Jack. He was good too but sometimes, he would turn on my Bull and could take him down to the ground. One night (around 2 am too), I awoke to the sound of my Bull in great distress. I grabbed my gun and ran outside into the pasture in the direction of my Bull screaming. My Jack had him down in the pond. I had to wade in the pond & pull the Jack off my Bull. I said then, "that's it . . . the Jack has to go to a new home." My Jack was a gentle soul with people & very calm. I could pick up his feet, lead him easily, etc. He would kick a dog quick. His aim was real good on the kicking.

Donkeys as a LG is about taking advantage of their territorial instincts. In other words, they aren't necessarily protecting their herd mates but are protecting their territory & self preserving. My Jenny tolerates my dogs as she knows them, but they stay clear of her too. I do not let my small, indoor, 14 year old Maltease in the pasture without me right there. Also, he never goes out without a person with him as he will wander in the pasture.

Four Winds Ranch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I had a Standard Jenny with my sheep and she was good till lambing season! She didn't care for the lambs at all and didn't think they belonged. Once the lambs were about 2 months old she was fine with them, just when they were little! Also, depending on the kind of predator, we had couger problems and she got swiped on the rear-end and the next time the cougars came, I found her hiding in the barn while the cougars created mass destruction on the sheep!!! :( With coyotes she was good, it might just depend on the donkey! If you decide to get one, make sure it is used to to living with other livestock!

KinderKorner

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I've had two mini donkeys to use for Guardians for my goat herd.

They didn't work out. Both of them would run down the goats.

They also would pick up the goats by the neck and swing them around.

They weren't being aggressive, they were just playing. But they could have very very easily broken a neck, or stomped a baby.

Luckily I got them re homed fast enough before I lost any goats.

Personally I would never trust a donkey. They were just too rough, and they loved to play. Which isn't good with smaller animals.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I had the same problem with a mini-donkey. He picked up a grand champion doe and slung her about 20 feet across the pasture and then went after her with his front feet, trying to stomp her into oblivion. He was a jack, and we castrated him the next day..... Couple months later - I gave him away... he just wasn't the right guardian. Can't beat a good dog!