1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. All things Goats
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Dorper X lamb, not drinking milk, lethargic, one eye closed...

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Injuries, Diseases, and Cures' started by soarwitheagles, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Aug 11, 2017
    soarwitheagles

soarwitheagles Loving the herd life

Hi everyone!

I would like to begin by thanking all the precious people that have helped us on BYH over the last couple of years. Thanks for helping us achieve some measure of success in raising sheep and bees!

And now to the challenge....

Dorper X lamb [half Dorper, half Barbados], healthy as can be since day one, suddenly very lethargic, laying on ground, and today, noticed one eye nearly swollen shut. Also, it appears as if the lambs upper throat is swollen.

When I inspected the mama ewe, I noticed her utter so filled it looks like she is gonna pop.

Now, not so sure what to do with mama and her baby lamb.

Lamb is approx. 2 months old, mama is almost 2 years.

Please help us if you can.

What are our options with lamb? I was thinking hit him with an antibiotic.

What are our options with the mama? Are we somehow suppose to drain her utter and if so, how?

Need help desperately, before it is too late.

Thank you.

2. Aug 11, 2017
    alsea1

alsea1 True BYH Addict

It would be good to milk her down so she keeps producing.
    As for the lamb it kinda sounds like some sort of reaction to a sting. Are there snakes around?
    Could be he got something lodged in his throat or choked on feed. Sometimes this can happen. A choke episode could result in injury to throat tissue with swelling and possible infection.
    I think your going to need a vet on this one as he may need meds you can't get on your own.
    A good start would be to take a temp and get heart rate. Your vet will want this info.
    Check his body over for any injury that could explain this.
    Best of luck with your little lamb

mysunwolf likes this.
  3. Aug 12, 2017
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Moderator

Could the lamb have swallowed a bee or something while grazing and gotten stung inside his/her mouth/throat? Not that you have any bees out your way or anything... :smack

Hope the little one comes around.