Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Brief history..
My Vet came out 4 days ago approx to evaluate my Buck who has become lazy.
His poo is normal and almost text book perfect. He did get into some medicated chickens food prior so our Doc loaded a needle with thiamine and we also checked his eye lids and he was anemic. So we dosed him with Cydectin as instructed.
Since that day, he has become weaker, even though I admin nutri drench twice a day and been keeping him hydrated. He is too weak to stand so I have been moving him to fresh bedding locations in intervals to keep him semi clean.
I was instructed to keep him off grain and stick with a green diet such as timothy or o/a. He has lost so much weight. Today I allowed him to have a tiny bit of grain and he woofed it down like a child with an ice cream bowl for dinner.
I am using bounce back but not as an only hydration source.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you in advance.:)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
You said the poo was normal and textbook perfect... what do you mean?
Did the vet do a fecal?
Anemia can occur for other reasons besides high parasite loads.
If there was a high parasite load and he was wormed, rapid detachment of parasites can cause a goat to go down.
Did he have a temperature?

I would be drenching him with probiotics asap. We use the powdered probios mixed with water and drench.
If he is severely anemic did the vet give iron?
I would consult with your vet immediately, ask about giving red-cell (it is for horses). It is over the counter, but NOT labeled for goats so you really want to consult about dosages etc.

What kind of feed are you feeding? (Brand)

Fullhousefarm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
With that information my best bet would be a high worm load- probably barberpole, though of coarse there could be other causes. I see you are in Florida like I am. They are bad here, and once the goat goes down it's a really hard battle to win.

I'd certainly get a fecal if the vet didn't do one. Then you know if the wormer took care of the load (or it's something else all together...) and he just needs supportive care, or if he still has a heavy worm load that needs treated. In the mean time he needs to stay hydrated, and needs extra vitamins, iron, and I personally would add in a goat feed- but slowly if it's not part of his diet already. Many times oak leaves are something they will eat even if they don't want to eat other things though it doesn't sound like that's a problem for him now. I'd try to find some peanut hay. Higher in protein but easier on the stomach than Alfalfa or even grain for goats who aren't used to a richer diet. You should be able to find it in your area.

I would certainly ask the vet about red cell and perhaps even about using banamine to help him feel better and get up and moving again. Not sure how close you are to UF, but they have a great large animal department that is good with goats- and not super $$- especially if they aren't boarded there.

Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have been avoiding the subject because of my feelings for this very gentle natured goat. It is never the bullies or the rotton disposition ones who go lame.

Jr would not hurt a flea. He was a complete gentleman and a true companion.
We have been nursing him back to health with little or not progress. Yesterday gave us 7 inches of rain. Ants moved into his stall and began to consume him alive. I franticly hosed him off and cleaned out the stall and re bedded it with fresh material. Put a heat lamp on him to bring his temp back up. Drenched him with eletro's and covered the doorway to let the heat build up. That was a sundown.
Early this morning I found him in an cold rain puddle about 20 ft from the stall. He must of dragged himself out there during the rain last night. He was shaking real bad. I managed to get him back into the stall. I placed a blanket over him. He has one horn stuck in the floor and his head cocked upward. Will not take a drench. He is on deaths doorstep right this minute of this post.

This is a photo from last night. Prior to the hypothermia episode this morning. It's hard when you become attached to something.
20171123_160825.jpg

What is a humane way of ending this suffering? Can I overdose him with banamine or will that cause more suffering?
I am suffering as well from a broken heart. I just want to end this ordeal.
I do not have enough money to have my vet come back out.
Please do not suggest a bullet in the head. Thank you.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry you are having to deal with this and I'm sorry you don't want to hear the suggestion that most here would make. In honesty, there is not much more of a quick, humane way to end his suffering without calling out your vet. Sounds like this guy has suffered enough. If you can't do it is there someone you can call who will? :hugs

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Really sorry Connie... You don't want to use the most humane method. I have heard but can not confirm that an air bubble in a major artery will cause an embolism and kill the recipient rather rapidly. You could call your vet and ask if this is in fact viable. If it is, a syringe with air in it injected into an artery should end his suffering very quickly. Sorry you're losing your buddy.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry LS - doesn't look like that will work.

www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetext/local_resources/.../emergEuth_sheepgoat-1.pdf
"Unacceptable Methods of Sheep & Goat Euthanasia
Ethical and humane standards of euthanasia DO NOT permit the following methods of euthanasia for sheep and goats: • Manually applied blunt trauma to the head. • Injection of chemical agents into conscious animals (e.g., disinfectants, certain electrolytes such as KCl, nonanesthetic pharmaceutical agents). • Air embolism (e.g., the injection of a large amount of air into the circulatory system). • Electrocution with a 120-volt electrical cord
."