1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hay Baler - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Nov 11, 2017
    Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie Loving the herd life

Brief history..
    My Vet came out 4 days ago approx to evaluate my Buck who has become lazy.
    His poo is normal and almost text book perfect. He did get into some medicated chickens food prior so our Doc loaded a needle with thiamine and we also checked his eye lids and he was anemic. So we dosed him with Cydectin as instructed.
    Since that day, he has become weaker, even though I admin nutri drench twice a day and been keeping him hydrated. He is too weak to stand so I have been moving him to fresh bedding locations in intervals to keep him semi clean.
    I was instructed to keep him off grain and stick with a green diet such as timothy or o/a. He has lost so much weight. Today I allowed him to have a tiny bit of grain and he woofed it down like a child with an ice cream bowl for dinner.
    I am using bounce back but not as an only hydration source.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you in advance.:)

2. Nov 11, 2017
    Latestarter

Latestarter Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry Golden Herd Member

Farmer Connie likes this.
  3. Nov 11, 2017
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

You said the poo was normal and textbook perfect... what do you mean?
    Did the vet do a fecal?
    Anemia can occur for other reasons besides high parasite loads.
    If there was a high parasite load and he was wormed, rapid detachment of parasites can cause a goat to go down.
    Did he have a temperature?

I would be drenching him with probiotics asap. We use the powdered probios mixed with water and drench.
    If he is severely anemic did the vet give iron?
    I would consult with your vet immediately, ask about giving red-cell (it is for horses). It is over the counter, but NOT labeled for goats so you really want to consult about dosages etc.

What kind of feed are you feeding? (Brand)

4. Nov 14, 2017
    Fullhousefarm

Fullhousefarm Loving the herd life

With that information my best bet would be a high worm load- probably barberpole, though of coarse there could be other causes. I see you are in Florida like I am. They are bad here, and once the goat goes down it's a really hard battle to win.

I'd certainly get a fecal if the vet didn't do one. Then you know if the wormer took care of the load (or it's something else all together...) and he just needs supportive care, or if he still has a heavy worm load that needs treated. In the mean time he needs to stay hydrated, and needs extra vitamins, iron, and I personally would add in a goat feed- but slowly if it's not part of his diet already. Many times oak leaves are something they will eat even if they don't want to eat other things though it doesn't sound like that's a problem for him now. I'd try to find some peanut hay. Higher in protein but easier on the stomach than Alfalfa or even grain for goats who aren't used to a richer diet. You should be able to find it in your area.

I would certainly ask the vet about red cell and perhaps even about using banamine to help him feel better and get up and moving again. Not sure how close you are to UF, but they have a great large animal department that is good with goats- and not super $$- especially if they aren't boarded there.

5. Nov 16, 2017 at 11:14 AM
    Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie Loving the herd life

I am still learning the ropes on this site. I will update soon. I just found my posting. He is doing better but slowly. THANK YOU

Latestarter likes this.