Drake Processing & Survivor Issue question

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I'm processing a couple of drakes today. I need to do this as they won't really be producers and I don't need a ton of drakes. I also want to use one of them for Christmas dinner.

I have 3 welsh drakes.

2 of them look the same. The third looks very similar but has a different colored beak than the others. (Most of my welshs seem to be pure strain of the 'gold type' welsh, though I have 1 silver hen also.) Anyway, the third drakes different beak color has me wondering how he would affect any breeding later on with him?

Any advise on this?

They are wonderful ducks. So I'm not getting rid of most of them, but just cutting down to 1 drake from 3. And I'm trying to decide if its better to keep the one with the more traditional yellow beak that this breed has or keep the other colored beak? What do you think? The off colored beak looks very pretty, and his beak looks sort of a blue-green depending on the sunlight. I'm wondering if this means his genes will help any chicks sired by him to have stronger darker beak traits? (Part of why welsh's look good is the black beak look in the hens with their white silver or gold bodies.)

Anyway I'd appreciate any thoughts on this, in figuring it out. I'm most concerned about how the chicks sired by the remaining one will turn out, and what genes they'll get.

Their weights and sizes appear to be similar for the most part other than this. And there's no issues with any of them, other than being freeloaders that don't produce eggs. :p

In the attached pic, you can see how one's head is slightly darker with the off colored beak. (Should I keep him? Or...?)

The third pic drake was in a second pic but my email failed on it somehow. He looks like the green headed one below in every aspect and they are impossible to tell apart.

Thanks very much!

Attachments

• welsh drakes 1.jpg
    welsh drakes 1.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 117