Dreaded barber pole - chances of survival?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here in this area, Prohibit, is the wormer of choice for barberpole worms. You won't build up a resistance to what ever you use right off the bat. It usually takes several "sets" of worming to start building up to a problem. So a course of once a week for 3 weeks or whatever the vet has suggested won't be an initial problem. It's if you have to do it every 3 months for a year or so that the resistance will show up.

So glad to hear he is "bouncing off the walls" and out with everyone else. Yes, there usually is always some eggs or worms showing up. Barber pole are mostly only managed....
We also use DE in our feed and in our mineral and I really feel that it does help alot. Rotational grazing also helps, and grazing cattle after the sheep helps as many/most worms are species specific. So grazing cattle behind sheep, will cause the cattle to ingest the worm larvae, so they break the cycle and the sheep will stay cleaner. The real wet years like this one has also played havoc with worm loads.

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Well Rambo has been out for a while now and has returned to wanting almost nothing to do with us. Lol. We were given a rejected lamb that was a few days old a while back. I had to do some chores out there a coiple days ago, so I took Bo's diaper off and let him come with me. The only reason Rambo let me touch him was because he was interested in Bo. Traitorous turd! Thanks everyone for your help!

Latest posts