***Dreaming of Goat's 4-H Goat Leasing Journal***

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
This is where I'll write whatever I'll do at my friends farm when I'm leasing 2 goats, Almond Joy and Debbie. They are a dairy farm with 28 dairy goats...they're mainly Oberhaslis, but some are oberhasli alpine X's. Almond Joy is purebred oberhasli, and she's a 17 week old kid. Debbie is a purebred oberhasli, Almond Joy's Mom, and is 6 years old.

8/28/10

I learned the rules, trimmed 2 goats' hooves, worked with Debbie, and learned the basics of the farm. When we trimmed the hooves, I was AMAZED at how easy it was. When I say "worked with" that means I practiced doing showmanship with her.....which I did with Debbie. She's a VERY calm goat, while Almond Joy still needs to be trained. He walked me around telling me about all the goats, and then we had to fix the fence because they all escaped while I was there. Luckily, the dog got them back in and they were wearing bells. I also learned all of what the different pens need (ie. feed) and all of the sanitation when you milk. I helped milk, and it was REALLY fun!

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
8/31/10

Today, I went again. We cleaned out 5 HUGE pens that needed cleaning, fed the sheep and goats, sanitized the feeders and waterers, and went to the vet to get them tested. Then, afterwards, I raked out the loose hay and I started getting Almond Joy used to being lead. Then, I tied up Debbie and took care of her ear infection with a friend. She didn't like it, so I held her head while the more experienced adult wiped it and dabbed it with hydrogen peroxide. After that, I gave her some grain and she seemed happy to be back with the herd.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
helmstead said:
Too bad you're in CT...I could use an apprentice! :p
No kidding, I could use some pen cleaning and bucket sanitizing! :lol:

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Sorry, but I prefer larger goats :) Sorry, I'm taken, lol

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
It depends..... It can stay at the farm and you take car of it for a very low fee, and I don't pay anything because they're my friends and it's for 4-H. I also take it to other fairs and train it. But I think it's kinda like making "your own plan"... I don't keep her kids, however I MAY take care of them at their farm. To kinda "pay them back", I help muck stuff out and help out in general.

Dreaming Of Goats

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
9/1/10
We finished mucking out...or they finished mucking out while me and my friend tried shaving Debbie...she was a spazz...lol. We finished one side of her, and finished half of her other side. We didn't do the neck or the head. I literally overheated...I could barely see and was dizzy. It was 92 degrees...and we were in the sun and the shaver was HOT! Can't wait till the hurricane comes!

PS...Tomorrow school starts :(

nmred

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It is so cool that you are doing this! Please keep it up. Great 4-H project.