Drowning donkey noises

Lil-patch-of-heaven

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ok, my llama really freaked me out the other day. I was setting up a temporary pen for the chicks and I heard what sounded like a donkey drowning in the pasture. Since we have neither donkeys nor deep water ...

When I checked, the llama was making the noise. She was standing very tall staring into the distance, snorting through her nose. All I could see were a few horses added to a distant pasture. I tried to tell her it was ok, but she wasn't buying it. For about 30 minutes after that, everything that moved beyond the pasture got that noise. And she refused to be put into the yard that night, leading me round and round when I came to get her. I had to get dh to walk around on the other side before she finally gave in and ran to the open gate.

So I'm guessing that was an alarm call lol.

She's letting me touch her neck and ears while I give her a sweet feed. I guess I was feeding her too much though because she politely leaves about a third now. I'm really enjoying her and looking forward to giving her some llama company. She seems to like the goats and is interested in the chickens but surely she'd benefit from having another llama to talk to.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Yes, that was an alarm call. She just needs time to get used to the new things. At least she is warning you. :D

Glad to hear she is warming up to you. Sounds like you got yourself a really good llama.

HeatherM

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Sounds like an alarm call to me! We had a female that would sound the alarm at EVERYTHING. People driving by, when my sister rode her horse, when the cows come up to the yard at night, when the dogs ran by the llama pasture...oh man. She wasn't wild or anything, she just was...observant? The noise is pretty startling when you haven't heard it before. Sounds like you have a nice little llama coming along!

Lil-patch-of-heaven

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks y'all. I am SO pleased with her.

I wish I had seen what happened last night during the milking. I heard something going on and I looked up and saw the llama chasing the other yearling. That yearling is pretty pushy and is the leader of the goats the llama went back to where she had been. The doeling was there and the llama lowered her head and kind of hovered over her, then kushed. When I came over a minute later, the tiny doeling was standing on her back lol.

I know baby goats like to climb anything and anyone that stands still enough. I guess I was surprised the llama allowed it. She didn't seem bothered at all.

I'm guessing the yearling was picking on the doeling, but I didn't see that. I hope it's not a bad thing if the llama actually chased one of the goats she is supposed to be "guarding". I admit I'm getting very attached to this llama and if I have to divide the pasture or add on in future to keep everyone safe, I will.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I'm suspecting there was a reason to chase off the goat. But keep an eye on it just in case. The llama sounds like she is really adjusting there and getting along with her charges.

Lil-patch-of-heaven

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks. :)

I've not seen more behavior like that. Onlybeen a couple of days though. I'll watch the dynamics, sine that goat is pushy. The llama is generally pretty docile of course but she doesn't tolerate the does nosing around when I'm giving her grain. They've been covered with half-chewed grain bits a few times now and theyare learning to leave her in peace to eat.

I will watch carefully though. All my goats are horned too (though the does have sticks taped over theirs to blunt them somewhat and keep their heads out of thefence). I'm still concerned about the llama in case something happens and of course she's much bigger than the goats so I guess she could hurt them. The care she shows to the doeling encourages me though.

Thanks again! :)

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
If your llama didn't like the goats, she would have stomped them or shown some other very aggressive behavior toward them by now. It is always good to watch your herd dynamics anyway so you know if something is amiss. Naturally she is going to be possessive about her grain so the goats will just have to learn.

Lil-patch-of-heaven

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks. :)

I guess she actually likes them then. It's harder for me to knowsince she's a little aloof. She's not generally WITH them, but nearby. Except the doeling sometimes seeks her out and joins her, and Misty doesn't mind at all.

Thanks again. In just thecouple weeks I've had them I see lots of patterns so I can understandwhat you mean about observing andknowing when something's up.

Lil-patch-of-heaven

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ok a followup question ...

I know it's hard to accurately describe sounds with words. Trying to understand based on what just happened. I was awakened a little while ago -- barely -- by a noise. I heard it again. My brain said "oh, it's a donkey" and I started to go back to sleep. Somewhere in there I realized we don't have a donkey and all the ones within hearing are too far away to sound like they are in the front yard. I remembered what was said here and got up with dh to check what was going on. When I shined the light across the pasture I did see eyes by the barn. It turned out to be a cat.

There were also way more dogs barking than usual and my pup was going CRAZY in his crate.

I don't know if the cat was the cause of all that but couldn't find anything else.

My question is -- does the alarm cry of a llama really sound exactly like a donkey? Do they have more than one cry? This sounded exactly like someones donkey was out there. The noise I heard before was weird -- similar to a donkey but quieter. Kind of cyclical. Maybe like a cross between a quiet underwater donkey and a small motorbike being started. It lasted about4-5 seconds per call, repeated several times. I think it was made by blowing through her nose but notsure. She's done it a couple more times (once because of an apparently evil and dangerous branch stump that dh removed from a cedar tree and saved for me she does notice when things are not supposed to be there!)

I don't know if it was the llama I heard but I didn't see any stray donkey out there.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I've never heard the alarm call called a donkey noise but it is probably something similar. I'm sure it was the alarm call of your llama.