Drstratton - My Backyard Journey Journal

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I ordered some formula for the kits, some of them are definitely not getting enough food. It will arrive tomorrow & I will give them some as soon as it gets here, some of their tummies were quite wrinkly! It will be amazing if they all make it! If Chloe is pregnant & has a small litter, I will see if she will foster some! She could kindle anytime in the next 4-5 days!

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Must be a really small bottle and nipple for a kit!

Are the nasty fires staying away from you?
Hi Bruce!

The nipples definitely were not small enough, so I tried a dropper and they weren't interested in that either! So, I took the mama and laid her on her back, my husband brought the underfed babies and we placed them on her tummy, that worked, she didn't like it very much, but it worked! I don't know if she has enough milk, but I'm hoping if we do this each day, supply and demand will increase her milk production!

The fires are all around us, but so far all we are dealing with is the smoke! Thank you for asking! How are things going in your neck of the woods?

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Nothing bad happening here. I can't recall ever having a fire of consequence here. A quick check says 200-400 a year mostly 1-2 acres, 50% caused by people not being careful with their brush burns.

Idiots.
Lol...yeah we have the same problem here...you don't build a fire when the humidity is low & the winds are high...idiots...lol

Cute kits and 13! That's a big litter. Hope the fires stay away from you.
I definitely wasn't expecting 13. Thank you, I hope so too!

WOW I didn't know rabbits could even have that many. Sure hope that your other one hurries up and has some extra milk to help you out....
They can have up to 15, but 7 is the average...she could have been average...lol I'm hoping Chloe is pregnant, so far she hasn't shown any signs of being ready to kindle...I don't know if I can keep them all alive. They didn't like the formula, so I held Daphne on her back on my lap & my husband brought the underfed kits & placed them on her tummy. She was not happy with me, she can be kind of grumpy anyway. Sfter that, I learned that if the formula isn't warm enough they will just refuse it, so I'm going to try again today.

Holy smokes! 13 bunnies :ep...:bunny
They are going to be so adorable 🐰🐰🐰🐰🐰🐰🐰🐰🐰🐰🐰🐰🐰❤
I know, way too many...they're pretty cute already! 💗

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm at my son's house watching the baby while my DIL is at work & my son is at my house working on his Jeep with his older brother! My husband & youngest son are in charge of keeping the kits alive...13 is too many for Daphne to feed properly. I have some mini nipples on order, but they won't be here until Monday. We've tried giving formula with an eye dropper, but that doesn't work very well. So, I took Daphne on my lap & put her on her back, so we could make sure the underfed babies got some food. She was not happy with me & I was afraid she would bite & scratch the guys if they tried. My husband finally decided that he didn't have any choice & did the same. If we can just get them past this first week, they will hopefully make it!
Here's a picture I snapped before I left. It's hard to tell were one ends & the next begins...lol!
20200907_134451.jpg