Drstratton - My Backyard Journey Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good morning Bay and thank you! It was just crazy, we did a lot of the things you've talked about in your pig raising threads...to no avail! Except for eggs...they love eggs. We discovered that they would chow down if we mixed egg into their feed, but there's no way my chickens could meet the demand...lol! we had a great crop of pumpkins from our garden, so I would cook one up and hubs would mix it into their feed, they ate that really well and zucchini. How are you doing...did you get hit by the cold snap very bad? Our son moved to Oklahoma just in time to deal with it. A portion of their pipes froze, but I don't think any broke!
We had two ice storms and 10" of snow. It got to -6F, breaking 100 year records. We never lost power and no pipes froze so we were blessed. But everything else was frozen, my husband kept the post boiling on the stove and I carried buckets of boiling water to the animals to thaw out their frozen water and give them a drink. For the steer and horses, I could bash the ice, for sheep, chickens and dogs, it was the hot water treatment. We had 17 new baby lambs and they came through it just fine. Thanks for asking!

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We had two ice storms and 10" of snow. It got to -6F, breaking 100 year records. We never lost power and no pipes froze so we were blessed. But everything else was frozen, my husband kept the post boiling on the stove and I carried buckets of boiling water to the animals to thaw out their frozen water and give them a drink. For the steer and horses, I could bash the ice, for sheep, chickens and dogs, it was the hot water treatment. We had 17 new baby lambs and they came through it just fine. Thanks for asking!
I'm so glad to hear that, sounds like you did a great job, but had a lot of extra work! At least we're prepared for freezing temps here, it's completely different when it's not your normal winter! 💗

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
In January we had our "normal" snow, 3-4 inches, gone in 3 days. But the February storm was something else! We just don't get that kind of weather and have nothing to deal with it. Oh well, it's gone now and it's been hitting 80F this week.
Yeah, that was just crazy weather for you guys...I truly am glad that you made it through without any major issues!

Our weather has been ranging in the mid 50's to mid 60's for daytime and still dipping into the 30's some nights. Spring is almost here! Is it normal for you to be in the 80's this time of year?

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We

Yeah, that was just crazy weather for you guys...I truly am glad that you made it through without any major issues!

Our weather has been ranging in the mid 50's to mid 60's for daytime and still dipping into the upper 30's some nights. Spring is almost here! Is it normal for you to be in the 80's this time of year?
Yes, but it is going back down to the 60's during the day. It was nice while it lasted! LOL