Drstratton - My Backyard Journey Journal

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You can click on my name, a box will pop up, click on my name again and it will go to a page of my information. Click on Find, then on threads and you can entertain yourself with my misadventures. LOL LOL
Misadventures are always so entertaining! Thank you for the info, now I can see what everyone who is following my journey is up too...that sounds almost stalker like, doesn't it.... 😂

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Misadventures are always so entertaining! Thank you for the info, not I can see what everyone who is following my journey is up too...that sounds almost stalker like, doesn't it.... 😂
@Senile_Texas_Aggie is our resident stalker. LOL He reads through journals and cheerfully admits to stalking. He is a great guy and a wonderful addition to the forum. So, stalk away, we are conditioned to it like Pavlov's dogs.

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Senile_Texas_Aggie is our resident stalker. LOL He reads through journals and cheerfully admits to stalking. He is a great guy and a wonderful addition to the forum. So, stalk away, we are conditioned to it like Pavlov's dogs.
I'm sure that I will learn a lot from my stalking.... 😂

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I love your bunnies!! They are just so pretty.

Then, there's why I cannot ever raise them for a meat source. Can't get past rabbit "cute". LOL. That's ok with me! Even have a few chickens that will live a long life...others, freezer bound. That I can do.

That's why my husband is in charge of that portion of this endeavor...he tells me that I would say, we can't eat this one, it's so sweet and that one is so beautiful...before you know it he'd have to build more hutches...lol!

At least I get to enjoy these 3 sweet babies as pets! 💞

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love your bunnies!! They are just so pretty.

Then, there's why I cannot ever raise them for a meat source. Can't get past rabbit "cute". LOL. That's ok with me! Even have a few chickens that will live a long life...others, freezer bound. That I can do.
I'm like you @Mini Horses .... I can't get past the cute for the rabbits. Yet I wanted to raise Rex rabbits to be able to utilize the pelts..... I just would need someone else to do the butchering. I cannot do it. I can designate other breeds for meat, have named and raised up calves for freezer beef, and have no problem having them processed or even doing it myself, although I have a little bit of a hard time doing the actual killing of the chickens, mostly because I am not real good at it; but to raise something for meat is not the issue. It is the actual act of killing a rabbit that I just cannot do. If there was someone around here that I could take the rabbits to, like I take the chickens to, I would raise the Rex rabbits in a heartbeat. The chicken processing is more practicality for me, as I have helped many times in the past. Mostly it is the time of scalding, and plucking and all that I do not have the time to do. Especially when I raise 10-30 or more cornish at a time to have done. on the average of 4-5 times a year. (the left behinds that I get off the one poultry farm) . And, I am supporting a dairy farmer that has branched out to do this so I even feel better about it. They are reasonable, and I don't have to deal with the mess, since the landlord won't let me have them here and certainly would never allow me to process them here. You have to have certain things like running water and such to do it properly.
I have never even eaten rabbit, but I think that I could eat it without a problem.

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm like you @Mini Horses .... I can't get past the cute for the rabbits. Yet I wanted to raise Rex rabbits to be able to utilize the pelts..... I just would need someone else to do the butchering. I cannot do it. I can designate other breeds for meat, have named and raised up calves for freezer beef, and have no problem having them processed or even doing it myself, although I have a little bit of a hard time doing the actual killing of the chickens, mostly because I am not real good at it; but to raise something for meat is not the issue. It is the actual act of killing a rabbit that I just cannot do. If there was someone around here that I could take the rabbits to, like I take the chickens to, I would raise the Rex rabbits in a heartbeat. The chicken processing is more practicality for me, as I have helped many times in the past. Mostly it is the time of scalding, and plucking and all that I do not have the time to do. Especially when I raise 10-30 or more cornish at a time to have done. on the average of 4-5 times a year. (the left behinds that I get off the one poultry farm) . And, I am supporting a dairy farmer that has branched out to do this so I even feel better about it. They are reasonable, and I don't have to deal with the mess, since the landlord won't let me have them here and certainly would never allow me to process them here. You have to have certain things like running water and such to do it properly.
I have never even eaten rabbit, but I think that I could eat it without a problem.
I don't think I could do the actual killing either, unless it meant my family had to go hungry! My husband is a hunter and we've always eaten what he and my boys brought home! So, it is his job! We honestly don't want to do this and if the economy recovers better than we think, then my bunnies will just remain pets! :)

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So, we went to see our new grandson this weekend! He is so adorable, I'm in love all over again!

While we were there, our oldest son called to tell us that the well pump quit at our place! We've been waiting for it to happen, this pump has been faithfully serving us for 29 years! I'm just glad that the weather is not to hot or to cold. My husband has to do some calling tomorrow to get someone out here to pull out the old and put in the new pump! We are planning to add a second pump for back up that will run off of a solar panel...compliments of oldest son!

Latest posts