Drstratton - My Backyard Journey Journal

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, the chicks seem to have survived just fine on their first night in the coop, (my son had to go out at midnight to turn on the orchard wind machines & water where he works & he told me the coldest temp last night was 31) but they were nice & cozy! They are enjoying their morning mash! I will bring them a sandbox a little later today! I sat out there with them for a bit this morning...I want them to be used to having me around!

<iframe width="1663" height="717" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I believe this little guy might be a rooster! He was one of the chicks that was being picked at, seems to be doing well and holding his own now! He's always the first to come see me! Hopefully he will always be friendly!
My Rooster baby 4.6.2020.jpg

Enjoying their larger sand box!

<iframe width="1663" height="717" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well the saga of the busted water line continues and I have learned a lot! First lesson, open a valve before you turn a main line back on and open it slowly or it might explode, get you soaking wet and cause your husband a lot of extra work! Second...after my husband repaired it he tells me that he hopes it didn't break something down lower...so the next day with that in mind, I open a faucet and slowly open the main line valve only to see water bubbling up down below! I call my husband and tell him that it broke down below and I will work on getting it dug up so that he doesn't have to! We cleared our land mostly by hand and shovel, we didn't have a 4X4 at that time, there was a lot of sagebrush that had to come out not to mention everything else you have to use a shovel for, so I am no stranger to using one. I tell you what, I'm dead dog tired, there were rocks, which was to be expected, but there were also roots from the tree's planted nearby! I persevered and was ready to take that pipe out, so that we could repair what I had broken. At that point my husband comes home...he thanks me for getting so much done. He asks me to show him where the water is coming out...I show him or I try to show him, no water leak! I explain to him again what happened earlier, he then tells me there is nothing wrong with the line, the valve is a stop and waste valve, but he didn't know where the leak was! All of this for nothing...well actually I've decided to look at it as a very good workout! Next time, I will wait until he is home! Lol!

Drip Main.jpg

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m 5 pages late to the party! Welcome to BYH! We retired 5 years ago and moved to 8 acres. We have chickens, 2feeder Pigs, Sheep, horses, dogs and a garden. The farm is our job now and we love it. Congratulations on the upcoming retirement and the decision to become more self sufficient. Your family will appreciate the good food that you raise!

Latest posts