Drstratton - My Backyard Journey Journal

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I’m 5 pages late to the party! Welcome to BYH! We retired 5 years ago and moved to 8 acres. We have chickens, 2feeder Pigs, Sheep, horses, dogs and a garden. The farm is our job now and we love it. Congratulations on the upcoming retirement and the decision to become more self sufficient. Your family will appreciate the good food that you raise!
Thank you and welcome, I'm so glad that you found my journey! We've lived on our 5 acres for 25 years and have raised chickens (Banty's), had a horse, dogs & cats, saltwater fish tank, fresh fish tank and other various animals! We've always grown a large garden and will now continue to do so! With these changing times we've had to change our focus, as you've read! I really was looking forward to a different lifestyle, but that's okay, we are truly blessed by everything we have and that we have the ability to provide for ourselves and help our children and their families as needed! I'm looking forward to having large eggs and the provision of meat from our own labor! I'm sure you've also had plenty of adventures and hard labor on your 8 acres in the last 5 years. Congratulations to you too and I'm so glad that you're happy with what you decided to do in your retirement! Wishing you good health and looking forward to getting to know you and the others who are following my journey! Do you have a journal?

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Good morning!

We are still making progress on the rabbit hutch! I come up with ideas and my husband implements & improves them! Last year we purchased a 4'x8' pallet of miscellaneous doors from a cabinet makers overstock store for $25. We have used them for many projects now including the ones seen on our hutches...we have gotten our money's worth!

Hutch with 1st door & Partial Trim.
New Rabbit Hutch Partial Trim & 1st Door on 4.9.2020.jpg

Small Door Between Sections, so that I can block them if they aren't being cooperative...lol!
New Rabbit Hutch Small Door.jpg

New Rabbit Hutch Small Door Closed 4.9.2020.jpg

This is the door to the left side with a built in hay feeder! The panel in the door will be replaced with wire!
New Rabbit Hutch Hay Feeder Top Open 4.9.20.jpg

New Rabbit Hutch Hay Feeder 4.9.20.jpg

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I decided to change my breeding stock! The rabbits that were given to us came out of a colony and I had no idea what their relationship was to each other! My husband found an add on Craigslist for purebred New Zealand's! She had two different litters born a day apart! I was able to get to beautiful bunnies! We will be keeping the original gray rabbit (Chloe) as she is calmer than the other doe, although still quite skittish!

The Trio! As soon as we finish our new hutch, they will each get their own space!
Rabbits First Day Together 4.9.2020.jpg

<iframe width="1663" height="717" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Our first Doe - Chloe
Chloe  4.9.2020.jpg

Our Buck - Buck (I know original...but I like it!
Bucks Sweet Face 4.9.2020.jpg

Bucks Back Markings 4.9.2020.jpg

Bucks Parents:
Sire
Bucks Sire & GG of Doe 4.9.2020.jpg

Bucks Mother & Siblings
Bucks Mother & Siblings 4.9.2020.jpg

Our Doe - She needs a name! Sweet Face!
Sweet Doe Face 4.9.2020.jpg

Back markings!
Doe Back Markings 4.9.2020.jpg

Her Sire