Drstratton - My Backyard Journey Journal

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Well, I made it to my son's house & I have some down time, so here are a couple more pictures. Last week I participated in an online auction & won the bid on a pallet of 3/4" galvanized pipe. My husband uses pipe like this for many different things.
He took 6 pieces & cut them to length for supports inside the raised beds. He pounded a 1/2" nut into each end & welded them in place. He then tapped each nut to make sure the bolts would easily thread into them. It takes 6 for each bed.
20200511_121421.jpg

20200519_182043.jpg

20200519_182318.jpg

20200519_193039.jpg

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It's so nice that you are able to help your son out. Sorry to hear about the after effects of his cancer treatment. Hope your time with him is not only productive and helpful, but also just a good time being together.
Thank you so much! We went & picked up some supplies together & had a very nice visit. I'm loving watching him with his brand new baby...our little miracle! He & his wife are so happy to be his mommy & daddy. They told us last August on my birthday that they were expecting...I keep telling them thank you, he's the best birthday present I've ever had! 💞
20190809_215651.jpg

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I made it home yesterday, but this is the first time I've had a chance to post...our internet has been down all day, not to mention we've been working in the garden!

Before I share what we've accomplished, I have to share an update on my silly chicken flock!

I solved the mystery as to what scared my flock so bad and especially terrified Penny! We were working in the garden today and if you will recall when the chickens were so scared we heard a terrible noise and every single chicken was terrified and ran into the coop...we heard it again today and the same result occurred, every chicken ran into the doop and hid...except for Little Roo...he was attempting to crow and that's what scared all of them, including himself the first time...:gig:lol::gig

Last edited:

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
While I was at my sons house helping him paint, my husband stayed home and worked on the garden boxes, by himself. He finished both of them and the crazy man was so beat down tired, I told him not to do that kind of work by himself and wait until I'm where I can help him! Here's a few pics!

Both new beds filled and ready to be planted! Crazy man!!!
Raised Beds Finished 5.22.2020.jpg

The sand hill is getting smaller. We have one more box to make for our strawberries! We will be picking up supplies for that tomorrow!
Sand Hill Smaller 5.22.2020.jpg

We finally planted our tomatoes...we've had them in pots on the sidewalk by the house...they did really well there!
We laid down the new landscape fabric and tried something we saw on YouTube...I'm sure some of you have done this, but I thought I would share in case you haven't! We melted the fabric with a torch to create the holes for the tomatoes! It work so much better than cutting with scissors or a razor knife.
Torch 2 5.23.2020.jpg

Tomatoes In 5.23.2020.jpg

Tomatoes In  5.23.2020.jpg

It was a very full day! On a side note...we used rabbit pellets when we planted the tomatoes...it was a very satisfying feeling to have home grown fertilizer to use...:bunny😊

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Your raised beds are not only functional. They are attractive too. Lots of hard work, but the vegetables you raise in them will make it all worth it.
Thank you Bay! It's really amazing the difference we see in the plants grown in the raised beds compared to the ones in the ground. We planted Zucchini in 2 places & the plants in the beds are 4 times the size of the ones on the ground & I should have some ready to eat this next week. It's been a cool spring here & the beds get warmer than the ground.

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Very gorgeous boxes! I love how it makes the garden so clean and neat looking. Oh, meant to also say that I may want to do a few raised beds next year, if nothing else for the earlier soil warmth. Just checked my soil temp yesterday and it's 58*. I think I'll go ahead and plant my green beans Monday anyway.

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Very gorgeous boxes! I love how it makes the garden so clean and neat looking. Oh, meant to also say that I may want to do a few raised beds next year, if nothing else for the earlier soil warmth. Just checked my soil temp yesterday and it's 58*. I think I'll go ahead and plant my green beans Monday anyway.
Thank you! You will love the raised beds! We will be planting our green beans tomorrow also! Here's the difference between planting in the raised bed and planting in the ground! These Zucchini & cukes were planted on the same day!
Zuchini In Ground 5.24.2020.jpg

Zuchini In Beds 5.24.2020.jpg

Latest posts