Drstratton - My Backyard Journey Journal

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Everything looks so nice. Nothing like my construction methods! LOL
Thank you! It's all my husband, he has ideas and he makes them look good...I have ideas and he makes them look good...🙃

I like what I've seen you do...not sure I could come up with those and make them look as good on my own! :)

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yesterday was a bit wild at our place...we had a huge thunderstorm go through with high winds. Tree branches were flying everywhere...our yard looked like Tree Armageddon! We moved our truck and SUV over by some of our large trees, we knew it was going to blow hard, but also knew that they would be safe here and they were! We spent this morning cleaning everything up!
View from the garden to the back yard!
Tree Armadeggdon Aftermath...Yard  5.30.2020.jpg

Tree Armadeggdon Aftermath...Garden  5.30.2020.jpg

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
After the yard cleanup we did a little more on the Chicken Coop! We decided that it needed more ventilation and light...the chicks won't go in if the light isn't on, I'm hoping the vent will give enough evening light that they will go in. If not, we are going to add windows on either side of the coop. We also finally added in the roost bars, I hope it will accommodate the whole flock!

Gable End Vent for Chicken Coop 5.31.2020.jpg

Roosts for Chicken Coop 5.31.2020.jpg

I need to add something into the nesting box to keep them out for a short time...they've been sleeping in there, now that we have the roost bars in place and the fact that they are higher than the nesting box, hopefully they won't want to sleep in there anymore!
Roosts for Chicken Coop   5.31.2020.jpg

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like you got hit with a lot more wind than we did. It didn't even blow the tarps off the tractors. Hopefully it knocked most of the pollen down. We had the windows open all day yesterday and every surface is now well pollen-ated!
I don't envy you cleaning up the pollen, hopefully it got rid of most of ours too! I'm glad that you were not hit to bad, I enjoy a good thunderstorm once in awhile! The wind hit hard and fast here, it could have been so much worse, they were calling for a possibility of golf ball to baseball sized hail, so glad that didn't happen!

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I worked on a small project by myself today. My husband planted cucumbers in the raised bed with the Zucchini & they were starting to get a little out of control. So I built a trellis, hopefully they will do okay after being moved around. I will build a 2nd one for next year, I just don't have time right now! We also installed part of the drip tape for our new watering system, it will be so nice to not water by hand twice a day! :)
Repurposed fence posts, rebar and 2x4 fencing!
Raised Bed Cucumber Trellis 6.2.2020.jpg

Drip Tape!
Drip Tape 6.2.2020.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Your garden is lovely. Do the weeds/grass still grow under your weed cloth? The dad-burned crab grass is growing under the weed cloth! AAARRGH!!! It is rather opaque and lets light through, it wasn't the woven heavy stuff I wanted-it wasn't in stock.

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Your garden is lovely. Do the weeds/grass still grow under your weed cloth? The dad-burned crab grass is growing under the weed cloth! AAARRGH!!! It is rather opaque and lets light through, it wasn't the woven heavy stuff I wanted-it wasn't in stock.
Thank you Bay! So far I haven't seen anything trying to come through...this stuff is 5 mil, but we haven't had it down for very long, time will tell, I hope it does the job! We ordered ours online! The 3' wide stuff seems to allow more water to get through than the 6' wide, although it eventually soaks in, they are 2 different products! I can see where an opaque product wouldn't keep crab grass down, that stuff can grow anywhere!

Latest posts