Drstratton - My Backyard Journey Journal

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We processed the rabbits we had in the rabbit tractor today. It's definitely not my favorite thing to do, but I can do it! My husband dispatched them with a pellet rifle...when we processed them with our friend we used a hopper popper...the rabbits were quite freaked out. We prefer the rifle, we placed them in a cage on the grass and they were much more relaxed, I feel that it was more humane, but would go the other route if I had to! They dressed out between 2# 3oz. to 2# 6oz, so we wound up with close to 15#. They were actually heavier than I thought they would be, I'm glad we waited an extra week. The first rabbits we processed were put in the freezer right away, that's the way our friend does it, since that time I've learned a little more. We are going to let them age for a couple of days in the fridge before I cut them up and bag them for the freezer. I'm curious to see if it makes any difference! This is a picture of them them chilling...I actually have them in bags now, but they are not cut up yet!

6 Meat Rabbits from Rollan  6.12.2020.jpg

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Some updated photo's of our breeding stock! We will be separating them into their own hutches soon, just a bit more updating needed on the old dual hutch!

Sharing some Swiss Chard! Buck, Chloe & Daphne!
Sharing Chard 6.17.2020.jpg

This little girl (Chloe) has come a long way! She was born in a rabbit colony and has been extremely wary of me! She has finally started coming over to say hello! I'm a bit concerned about what kind of growth rate we will see from her kits, as the ones from the same colony grew quite slowly, to much inbreeding! Hopefully with the infusion of fresh purebred NZ gene's they will grow faster. She's turning into a sweet little rabbit, so hopefully she will work out!
Chloe 6.17.2020.jpg

This boy has really grown, but he's still smaller than Daphne! One of my favorite rabbit poses!
Buck 6.17.2020.jpg