Drstratton - My Backyard Journey Journal

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Evidently my husband doesn't count as carefully as I do, it looks like we lost 2 babies probably yesterday.🙁 They were the ones that we were having the hardest time getting to eat, even when placed on the doe. I think she just didn't have enough milk. I wish I would have been home, but I don't know if it would have made a difference. I now know what to do if we have another litter like this one. He made a closer inspection today & said that tummies looked full. Hopefully we won't lose any more.

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
Evidently my husband doesn't count as carefully as I do, it looks like we lost 2 babies probably yesterday.🙁 They were the ones that we were having the hardest time getting to eat, even when placed on the doe. I think she just didn't have enough milk. I wish I would have been home, but I don't know if it would have made a difference. I now know what to do if we have another litter like this one. He made a closer inspection today & said that tummies looked full. Hopefully we won't lose any more.
Don't feel bad..:hugs

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Don't overthink the "If I had been there" thing. Sounds like DH was doing a good job. 13 is a heck of a lot of kits!
I'm not blaming him, he was doing a good job, it just would have been better if we'd been working together! 13 is definitely a lot. Thank you Bruce!

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It is hard for a doe to raise 13 kits. Often if they do, the kits are small. I think the doe, your husband and you are doing a great job.
Thank you Bay! I've decided that we never get to do anything by halves...it's always full throttle...sink or swim...lol. We've learned a lot through this process & will hopefully be better prepared the next time! 💞

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Daphne was being quite aggressive today, she growled and nip my arm! She's tired of her babies being messed with...silly girl, but she's being a good mama! They have really grown, but their eyes are still closed! A couple looked a little skinnier today! The mini nipples are out for delivery and will be here soon! I'm hoping I can get them to take in some formula to get them plumped up! If they won't, I will bring in the plumper babies again tonight and give the others a chance to nurse! I will then try to get the ones I bring in to drink some formula!
9.14.2020 Daphne's Kits at 1 Week.jpg

Last edited:

drstratton

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I bottle fed some of the Kits yesterday, they still aren't getting quite enough to have round little bellies, but they aren't completely empty! They don't drink as much as I would like, but I will keep trying! Their eyes are still closed, but should be opening soon! I took pictures as I was feeding them, so I could make sure they all got fed, they are kind of similar in appearance!
9.14.2020 1.jpg
9.14.2020 3.jpg
9.14.2020 2.jpg
9.14.2020 4.jpg